Frothy Cider?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P!N20

Reaction score
OK, I already feel stupid asking this question.

A friend of mine claims she had a special one-off limited edition never to be repeated Willie Smith's cider that had a foam head - froth, if you will. She described it as 'extra yeasty', but I don't know if that was the name of it or that was just her description of the taste.

I understand a beer gets it's head predominately from the protein, provided by the grains. So is there a way to get protein into a cider which would create a frothy head?

Thinking out loud I was wondering if you did a mini wort using wheat or something then added that to to the apple juice?

Has anyone come across a frothy cider or managed to produce one?

Foam head on pouring isn't super unusual but it would be unusual for it to remain.
If your friend can remember what the cider was, I can try and find out for you but it won't be till early Feb.

A guy closely involved with the cider making process at WS trains at my kung fu school and he's quite happy to talk fermentation. Send me a PM around second week of feb if you haven't heard back (means I've forgotten, don't mind a prompt).

^ Ah sweet! I'll try to get some more info from said friend and report back. Thanks!

Back