Quantcast

Front Page Content

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

dane

Reaction score
Guys I have spent some time on getting the front page ready for the site. Progress is coming along nicely.

First up I want to ask if anyone wants to start having a look at writing up a review/turotial on anything beer related. Weather it be a particular piece of equipment, some ingredients, a brewing process (in detail), etc.

I want to try and gather a little bit of material that we can publish on the front page.

So if you have any content (original, or with permission) please see if you can put it together for the front page.

Some nice indepth tutorials would also be nice, so if you don't think you are up to actually reviewing something, a detailed tutorial to help new brewers out would also be ideal.

On a slighty different note, while the front page is still in the design stage, I want to get some comments on that info you would like to see.

I have read through a couple of the other 'concept site and AHB future' threads to see what was suggested there, but while I am actively coding I thought i would ask again.

Basically atm, I envisiage you get to the front page - there is a login box if you aren't logged in, if you are the box isn't there and it will show your username and some stats (this is on the left hand side).

The main page has the review/tutorial that we are showing with comments into the forum.

We plan to have a recipe/batch of the week to try and encourage people to brew smilar brews at the same time. This will also be linked back into forums for discussion.

What other content would u like to see?

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Sounds great Fiscus.
I don't currently have anything worthy of the front page. Just about everything I've got I've posted.

My other thoughts for the front page, maybe a New Products section that we could post what new gadgets/ingredients etc are on the market for the home brewing industry.
Maybe even RSS feeds from beer related sites. Not sure if RSS feeds are available from beertown.com, realbeer.com etc, but that would be great.

Doc

dane

Reaction score
I'll see if some of those sites offer RSS feeds. There could easily be a product or ingredient specific forum....could be a good idea.

jgriffin

No Longer Brewin!
Reaction score
Links to other sites such as www.howtobrew.com etc
Maybe a front page weekly or monthly poll?
A section for interesting threads that could be updated by the site admin easily.
News section such as "White labs releases new xxx yeast" or "Coopers releases new Pale Ale kit" etc
Mabe a little section with site stats such as # of reg users, visitors etc

PostModern

Iron Wolf Brewery
Reaction score
dane said:
On a slighty different note, while the front page is still in the design stage, I want to get some comments on that info you would like to see.

Basically atm, I envisiage you get to the front page - there is a login box if you aren't logged in, if you are the box isn't there and it will show your username and some stats (this is on the left hand side).
If you aren't logged in, will you be able to see the content? ie, can non members read the articles? The reason I ask is because you're more likely to attract banner ads to the site if the information is freely readable. An advertiser is more likely to show interest if it is a public site rather than viewable by a closed group.

I'd be interested in writing general articles and reviews of products, etc.

dane

Reaction score
Yeah logging in only give you access to contribute - non members have access to read everything as they currently do.

I have added reelbeer.com's RSS feed and it looks great.

Stay tuned.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Dane,

With the talk about the Recent Topics stuff, maybe it should go on the front page?

And as for a new feature any new topics should be available through an RSS feed.
I've hunted down some code to do it in Invision Board here.

Beers,
Doc

dreamboat

Fantasy Brewer
Reaction score
I could probably contribute some content. I tend to write a bit of stuff for the club newsletters, stuff on styles or brew maths or whatever. So I would have some stuff available erectly, with a bit more down the track...

dreamboat

Latest posts