From Treadmill To Grainmill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver

Silver
Reaction score
A few grain bills have been crushed now and I think I am close to my optimal roller gap setting at 1.8mm.
At 2mm it pulled 6.5kg Aust Ale malt through in just over 4 minutes and gave me 72% efficiency. Last brew set at 1.8mm with 7kg Aust Ale malt and about 20 minutes to crush gave me 88%. Happy with that. In these pics I have 3.6kg Aust Ale malt which I put through twice to see if that may increase my % any. 1st crush 15 min, 2nd crush 3 mins. The longer time factor does not bother me one bit as I am usually getting everything else ready for my mash. I love the the fact that I can flick the switch on and walk away. My first mill was my wife's converted pasta roller, which meant standing their with a drill for 20 mins. I reckon my hopper will hold close to 10kg. This topic follows on from "Lathe operator wanted" topic. There are early stage pics their.
crush.jpg IMG074.jpg IMG071.jpg IMG070.jpg IMG069.jpg IMG068.jpg IMG067.jpg

i never thought it would work :beer: but glad it does

nice work

I would have thought 1.8mm gap would be too big. Nevertheless, if it works for you then what ever is going to rock your boat.

Nice pics. I am looking at getting the Mill Master Minimill shortly and motorising it.

PS, I love the hopper.

A few grain bills have been crushed now and I think I am close to my optimal roller gap setting at 1.8mm.
At 2mm it pulled 6.5kg Aust Ale malt through in just over 4 minutes and gave me 72% efficiency. Last brew set at 1.8mm with 7kg Aust Ale malt and about 20 minutes to crush gave me 88%. Happy with that. In these pics I have 3.6kg Aust Ale malt which I put through twice to see if that may increase my % any. 1st crush 15 min, 2nd crush 3 mins. The longer time factor does not bother me one bit as I am usually getting everything else ready for my mash. I love the the fact that I can flick the switch on and walk away. My first mill was my wife's converted pasta roller, which meant standing their with a drill for 20 mins. I reckon my hopper will hold close to 10kg. This topic follows on from "Lathe operator wanted" topic. There are early stage pics their.
View attachment 54951 View attachment 54953 View attachment 54954 View attachment 54955 View attachment 54956 View attachment 54957 View attachment 54958

Looks great Siver, top job.
It's funny how different mills need different settings. I got rid of my Barley Crusher with my brew rig sale & always had my mill set at 0.9mm for my cooler mash tun or 1.2mm for the Rims set up. I purchased a MashMaster MiniMill & at 0.9mm, I couldn't even crank the handle using the same feeler gauge for the Barley Crusher. I can relate to your 1.8mm as this is about where mine is set at.

the rollers were made from the treadmill belt drive which went from one side to the other. 200mm in the middle was lightly knurled so i cut that in half to give me two at 100mm. i approached a local machine shop and for some tasty beer, he was happy to put the parts in his lathe so i could throw some bearings in. i'll have to look at linking my original topic to this one so you can see the parts as they were earlier.

Back