From Tassie With Love

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not For Horses

Reaction score
Hi all
I've been reading forums on here for some time now and decided it was time to join.
I'm a land surveyor by day and beer lover by night. And by day within reason!
I've spent most of my spare time this year malting and brewing with surprisingly good results.
Nothing compares to that feeling you get when you drink an amazing beer and know that you brewed it yourself.

Malting has been a big learning curve, one that has by no means flattened and probably never will.
Currently I'm producing enough malts for myself and a few mates who do AG but I'm working on up-sizing my gear and building new equipment so watch this space.
Floor malting takes a large amount of space so producing enough base malts for all of you will not be possible just yet
I'm always producing and trying new things so If you're after some specialty grains with a difference then hit me up.

Happy brewing. Talk soon.

Love Tassie.

Wow, self-malting. I'm not going to do that, but good on you.

You'll find a number of AG brewers in Launnie and stretching out the NW Coast on AHB. Occasionally we'll swap bottles and have fun doing so. Good to try some beer from other brewers, especially as we all tend to brew different styles to each other.

That's awesome! I've looked into malting but haven't gotten that far yet. I'd love to try your malt if you ever have some spare.

My new bestest friend ever. Look forward to more details.
Welcome aboard as well.
Cheers
LB

Welcome aboard. How are you drying the grain, are you using a converted clothes dryer?

Wow thanks for the welcome guys!

I'd like to get in contact with more of the brewing community in Tassie.
We have beer appreciation meetings fairly regularly in lonnie and newcomers are always welcome.

Malting will be my primary focus in the coming months and I'm currently designing new systems for malting larger quantities of grains for base malts but am happy to supply smaller amounts of specialty grains until then, just send me a message with the malts you have in mind.

I'll post some photos and information when time permits.

Kev - I don't use a converted dryer but I've heard that is quite effective. I dry my base malts under fan at low temperature (~20C) and use a slightly higher kiln temperature to compensate.

Malting is not the dark art that most people consider it to be. If you can control temperature and time, you're most of the way there.

Back