Frist AG brew with the GF - PALE MONK BELGIAN WITBIER - OG 1.62 ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaveFun

Reaction score
FQrzPc2q4fJrjEOpHeKqkvXSo1QyvVVLLZXAn5bkQpp6EW6FD1xQDQgp-hjxlQ4VDwYXI_4FBVPZqObidpDyZ9C8RB5G7jZTOk3nx-E-k1eyBatQfBMARG_CEUnUm7f439mfUAVbuX7qZ-BU21jQbWrwWOPdXTOPsJooxVik_scJ3sXGLuqGQkkP7QBXySgzX3LQLJNWt1jG88Ds0mGE4dXFLlwHrDLm8z-fka6GNST4aun8OWHwdGGS2TnCvamaf8Nw6jPC6gJY8v1HazPHfmfszP7pdtszg-L3EKzfKdotDG-pBVOXBpLZ2mpLIyacF3vicXVZRYxkmzG-3j3Z_JOS8JOchd1rBBBTRAC78pR9yErM2LuPwhxoTTSRpvdIIC8HTh2UvERmcYc7e6yzaL0cSfRYMbMnUqM7H_ySKTrJjmNPfRCND9hazYXJ8VBsUPWzdRYhBN4tBwrcFXjo3xXFSANZjK1z9wco8lDTKMCutRdNdyG2iCxG_Qq546o8errCD11YIdqgHv36qTYctS98O8pCSvtFocaR_k9Xf7Kth6otLFe7ABuYy9anYJPVumALNIrfHo5ND9hER_FgUhCo-HoPYHNk0-mMHS7JTQ=w480-h640-no

Hi,

I had my first brew with the GF.. everything went ok till the filter come off.. I had a 9h brew day from the first drop of water in, to finish cleaning..

After i lost my I had problems to chill down the wort because the non-return valve was blocked.

I fixed this issue and now my wort sitting in the fermenter ready to pitch.

I have 23l wort and a gravity reading of 1.63 ?

How come?

Thanks

Cheers
Stefan

Make sure your hydrometer isn't resting on the bottom, that's gotten me a couple times.
Failing that - if the hydrometer is calibrated and the wort you measured was around 20C - sounds like you just had good efficiency.

this time the hydromether was not resting at the bottom had this before :)

the temp of the wort was 24C a bit to high.

i see whats comes out - how long it is drinkable i am happy

it was a lot of fun but a long brewing day thanks god that i did not had my first dring at mash temp...

cheers
stefan.

Best not to drink when trying out new system . Sounds like you had a great day . Don't worry once you get to know your system your brew day will be shorter and you can start drinking earlier :overhead:

Nothing bad. I brew old school and multi boils for batch sparging. I've boiled worts for looong looooong times. Even recycling kept worts and re boiling them again you get very good flavors.
No fear the long boil its just the energy and time that hurts. Or gets the bonus flavours in some ways.

great to hear :) I put so much love into this first brew and it has to turn out drinkable hehe

I also used a keg king hop spider but it got clogged very quick and it was very hard to clean - another pint till I got this job done hehe

Next weekend I will try a hop bag because I'm worried if the hop spider gets clogged all the goodness stays in the spider...

Thanks

Cheers
Stefan

Sounds like you had good efficiency , I also have a grainfather and it takes a few brews to get used to it , great bit of kit. Take notes and work out your efficiencies so you can get your system dialled in. I had no idea about brewing in general when I first started but that was one piece of good advice I got when I first started .

Let the hops swim free. Its the only way to get the most out of them. I've never used a GF though so I dont know its limits.
Whirlpool?

I use a hop sock for early additions and any flameout/whirlpool additions I just ad straight in once I reach desired temp . Just my personal preference as I had a few brews early days that were to bitter for my liking . I lift hop sock out of wort at flamout and then add back in once desired temp is reached even though most of oils are probably boiled away

Back