Fridgemate Quandary

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capsicum

Reaction score
Last night I checked on my fermentation fridge and noticed the temperature displayed on my fridgemate was pretty high. The 'work' led was on, which usually means the compressor is running but when I checked it was silent and still to the touch.

I take it that either the fridge or fridgemate has shat itself, question is how do I figure out which without altering the wiring? I could connect the power straight to the compressor but is there a more simple way?

The system has been working fine for at least a couple of years now.

Last night I checked on my fermentation fridge and noticed the temperature displayed on my fridgemate was pretty high. The 'work' led was on, which usually means the compressor is running but when I checked it was silent and still to the touch.

I take it that either the fridge or fridgemate has shat itself, question is how do I figure out which without altering the wiring? I could connect the power straight to the compressor but is there a more simple way?

The system has been working fine for at least a couple of years now.

Plug a lamp into your controller and drop the probe in a cup of hot water, if the lamp lights up it's your fridge that's rooted.

Andrew

Surely just unplug your fridge from the Fridgemate and plug it directly into power? If the current temp inside the fridge is warm, the fridge will kick in. If it doesn't start cooling, then you have an issue with the fridge.

Or Andrew's way will work.

Or do both, and make doubly sure!

without altering the wiring?

I assume you have hard wired your controller to the fridge? Most people put power sockets on the STC and just plug the fridge in, which lets you eaisly unplug it.

If yours is hard wired, then there isn't an easy way to test which is working and which isn't (technically its pretty easy to check with a multi-meter, but if you have to ask, then you shouldn't even try - live 240V is not something to play with)

Yeah I hardwired it - feel like a bit of a dope now! Good opportunity to put sockets on though - put socket on fridgemate and test, if it's buggered then put a socket on the fridge and get a new controller. Otherwise, new fridge.

Latest posts

Back