Fridge v freezer for fermenting fridge?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazza101

Reaction score
Hi all, as the topic suggests looking to get some pros and cons for a fermenting fridge. Essentially looking at getting one or the other and attaching a temp controller (stc1000 or similar) to be used for fermenting some lagers.

Obviously fridges are easier to come by and cheaper but I have doubts re their ability to say keep a good temp at 1 degree etc or get to that at all.

Just some general advice would be appreciated.

I am leaning towards a chest freezer of some description, only will be using 30 lt fermenters so not big.

Thanks

Dazza

Both of my Westinghouse all fridges have no problem going down to 2'. Remember a fermenting fridge isn't being opened as often as it would in household use.
I have read that freezers have a problem when trying to ferment in the 18-20' range. I don't have any personal experience with freezers.

Upright fridge is much easier to get fermentors in and out, and to take samples as the ferment progresses, but the old ones may struggle to get below 4C or so. Chesties should get colder, but getting FVs in and out and taking samples, is trickier / more effort.

Upright freezer would be ideal, but many run the coolant in fixed shelves so are near enough useless for fermenting (gap between shelves is too small)

I have used all sorts of fridges / freezers. The best I have found is an upright freezer with adjustable shelves. I'll grab a pick of it in a minute.

Steer away from the chest ones for fermenting. The uprights are better, so you can easily take samples for QA and your not bending your back.

On the uprights, make sure the shelves are adjustable and not part of the cooling system. I have both types, the non adjustable one is a great freezer but can not be used for fermenting.

Chesties are good as kegorators though.

Cheers Steve

Said the same thing at the same time Blind dog.

This cost about $100.

Fermenter freezer.jpg

I've got an upright freezer with adjustable shelves as my fermenting fridge. It's only big enough to hold one fermenter but that's fine for me. Plugged into an STC1000 it's never had issues keeping temp around 18C. Easily cold crashes down to 1 or 2C and would easily go lower if I wanted it to.

Cost me 90 bucks off gumtree or ebay.

Edit: I have a chesty as a keg fridge (in progress), and I wouldn't want to ferment in it simply because it's such an effort to put in/take out a full fermenter. Upright is much easier from this point of view.

Hi there,

I've used both fridge and chest freezer and have to say I find the freezer is much better for fermenting. It's very efficient and stable when at ferment temp and cold crashing. I fill it up in there so I only have to pull it out at bottling time which really isn't a problem for me, and also it sits on a raised shelf above the compressor with the tap exposed so taking samples is easy. I could see it being a problem if the fv was on the floor of a freezer but that's not the case in my situation.

Cheers,
Tom

I went with a fridge and a frost free freezer both run on digital temp control. The fridge works a treat but, but the frost free doesn't cold crash, the internal mechanism to stop it freezing always kicks in regardless of the stc setting so I'm replacing it with another fridge.

So consider that issue when you get your freezer if you do and does anyone know how to deactivate the frost free?

The temps when the frost free comes on is like -17c ( checked with temp probe inside freezer ) and then after about 5mins the fans switches off and then it just doesn't drop temp of the FV.

one of my fridges wouldn't cold crash either, it's possible to disconnect the internal thermostat quite easily. The fridge I did this to will get to sub zero temps quite easily

I use 2 upright freezers for fermenting, an old frigidaire 160 and a new Fisher and Paykel. Both work great. Both are controlled with an stc1000. As mentioned, access is easy like a fridge, but you have better insulation, and can easily get to 0 degrees for cold crashing. So Yeah, I'd recommend freezers if you can get them!

Looks like an upright freezer is the way to go! Thanks for all the advice guys.

I've got an old kelvinator 1960s vintage fridge freezer i use as my fermentation fridge. Its perfect for cold crashing even after all these years will freeze beer if you dont have a controller on it. Be a sad day when it goes, they don't make em like that anymore

mofox1 said:
Yeah had a dint or two in the door. which you can't see in the pic. Otherwise its perfect.

On Yob's set up. the SS olive oil drums are great too.

Cheers Steve

Back