Fridge Stopped Refridgerating

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckerooni

Reaction score
this is a longshot but this image tweaked my interest (but don't know what it's called - I've messaged the seller of this):

%24%28KGrHqZHJE8FBzzO6nSUBQhH6NrHDg%7E%7E60_3.JPG

my fermenting fridge was turned on while the temp control was still heating for about 24 hours (it wasn't me!) and since then the fridge will make a sound but no chill! Rang up a fridge mechanic and said he'd have to perform some kind of test to make sure there's no gas leak (or something similar) and was going to cost me about $400 - the fridge would be about 20 years old I think, even more.

As moving a fridge is a PITA and getting another fridge just as much, is there anyway to put some kind of portable chiller in there that would be driven by my temp controller? Would be happy to spend up to about $70, as that is probably the PITA factor I am willing to put up with.

thanks.

I watched this the other day and thought it would be a good idea for a fermenter fridge. I know you don't want to move a fridge but this is small and light and you can pick them up on ebay for $20-$70 . :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

You can buy standalone refrigeration systems called 'condensor units' usually in HVAC price lists but you will not get them on the cheap as they are not designed to replace the guts of fridges.

Thermoelectrics (peltiers) wont be powerful enough and the lack of efficiency will kill any 'savings' within the year.

Your best bet is just to hop from used fridge to used fridge like a hermit crab as most brewers do.

Cheers, S

Back