Fridge Or Freezer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtrabyte

Reaction score
Im looking at buying a second hand upright fridge or chest freezer to control my temps whilst making lager, controlled by a fridgemate. What would be better a fridge or freezer?

I'm looking at buying a second hand upright fridge or chest freezer to control my temps whilst making lager, controlled by a fridgemate. What would be better a fridge or freezer?

Freezer is normaly the better option as it can still reach fridge temps but also has the ability to CC at 0C - 3C, gives you more range to work with.

The only problem with a freezer for fermenting is lifting the fermenters in and out,good way to stuff your back

Batz

Chest freezers generally cost far less to run, but as Batz pointed out, can be a bugger to lift fermenters in & out of. I use fridges for fermenting & a chest freezer for my kegs.

cheers Ross

yep go the chest freezer.. holds alot more kegs/fermenters for the volume.

and I don't have any problems with lifting fermenters out of my chest freezer..

Ross and Batz must be very fragile if they can't lift 20 kilos! Strewth!

Im looking at buying a second hand upright fridge or chest freezer to control my temps whilst making lager, controlled by a fridgemate. What would be better a fridge or freezer?
I use a chest freezer with an external fitted thermostat. The freezer/fridge is the best thing I ever done in regards to keeping things cold. When using a fridge, once the door is opened the cold air falls out so to speak. A freezer door you don't have that problem. Yep I'll stick with my chest freezer.

Cheers Back Yard Brewer (aka BYB)

I have a 345L chest freezer for fermenting. Best thing since sliced bread. Well, it was free ;)

Chest freezers generally cost far less to run, but as Batz pointed out, can be a bugger to lift fermenters in & out of. I use fridges for fermenting & a chest freezer for my kegs.

cheers Ross

I think that freezers are more efficient because they typically have better insulation. So a freezer running at 10C uses less kW on average than a fridge at 10C.

yep go the chest freezer.. holds alot more kegs/fermenters for the volume.

and I don't have any problems with lifting fermenters out of my chest freezer..

Ross and Batz must be very fragile if they can't lift 20 kilos! Strewth!

Firstly it's 25kg,and if you know good lifting practices you can't do it lifting a fermenter out of a freezer,the only way is a shocker for your back.
I am with Ross I have several fridges for fermenting and a freezer for my kegs.

Perhaps Ross and I are a little older than you blokes...well Ross is anyway :lol:

Batz

Firstly it's 25kg,and if you know good lifting practices you can't do it lifting a fermenter out of a freezer,the only way is a shocker for your back.
Batz

I too prefer fridges for fermenting. My back is stuffed and i need help now.

Even if it was not I would not lift all that weight out of a freezer.

My 3 tier fermenting system :D

cheers
johnno

fridge.JPG

Back