Fridge Freezer Conversion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rehab

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a Fridge Freezer I have been using as a fermentation chamber (stc styles) since picking it up on the cheep due to the Freezer not working. This is a fridge up top and Freezer down the bottom type set up. How does one know if they can cut through the middle and turn it into a fullsize fridge so I can have two fermenters going at once? I don't want to make the whole thing break or I am back to square one.
I am just getting a bit over having one fermenter on the go as I finish that before the next brew is underway let alone ready to drink and a bit of variety would be great also. I make 20-25 litres at a time and have plenty of bottles to cover the double batch size. :beer:

Any advice will be taken on board due to me being a "Special" brand of handyman.

Not exactly what you're looking for, but have you thought of getting a slim line fermenter for a small batch of brew? You can get narrow rectangular water containers from hardware/camping stores that carry 15-20 litres, they come with a tap. I find even in my smallish brewfridge I can fit a full size 30 litre cylinder FV alongside a 15l narrow FV with say a 12l batch in it.

Yeah 20L jerries would be an option.
Not sure you'd fit a fermenter in the freezer section of a fridge/freezer?

Yeah 20L jerries would be an option.
Not sure you'd fit a fermenter in the freezer section of a fridge/freezer?

Sure this could be a go if all else fails. I find that I have a fair amount of wasted space under the shelf that holds the fermenter in the fridge. If I was to combine this with the room in the freezer (maybe even no need to use that space as this is a sizable fridge freezer) I would have more than enough for two high. But yeah if all else fails I will have to buy a couple of jerrys. They just arent as popular over here so the price is about $30 each for them which is the same as the fermenter I currently have.

Not that I am trying to sound cheap I would just rather spend money on making the beer and key equipment I borrow at this stage (I/C and Chilly Bin are to be purchased at some point) to make the brews.

Cheers though, not ruling it out.

Any one actually gone through with this though? I have a few ideas for shelving to replace the missing divider and access to silicone etc if need be to close off the back wall and sides...

I am taking it this must not be a great idea then...

Latest posts

Back