Fridge defrost heater for temp control

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krausenhaus

Reaction score
I've got an old fridge (no freezer compartment) that I'm converting into a fermenting fridge.

I was pulling out the thermostat/relay junk from inside and realised that there is a heating coil that runs underneath the evaporator plate.

I'm wondering if there's any reason why I shouldn't wire this up to the heating side of the STC-1000 I'm installing.

Anyone tried this before?

By the way, if anyone is wondering why I'm rewiring the fridge instead of just plugging it into an external STC in a jiffy box, it's because I need to move all that stuff (light, temperature dial, relay etc) out the way to fit more jerry cans in. Plus it's really easy with old models like this.

i can't see any reason why not mate, is there a fuse in the circuit at all? if so i would make sure i kept this in to allow for a bit of protection

jimmy_jangles said:
i can't see any reason why not mate, is there a fuse in the circuit at all? if so i would make sure i kept this in to allow for a bit of protection
Awesome, I'll give it a shot and post how it goes.

There's no fuse I can see in the wiring I've pulled out, there may well be one elsewhere in the circuit which I'm not touching so it'll stay there.

I guess the heat it produces will be really localised but I'll have a decent fan in there to move it around.

what make and model? The Westinghouse & Kelvinator's heater will heat up when left on for a while

bookers said:
what make and model? The Westinghouse & Kelvinator's heater will heat up when left on for a while
Westinghouse RP342

That's all I can see.. would model number be written anywhere else?

1428484995075.jpg

I think I have worked it out, surprisingly it's only 9 watts that heater, so on heat cycle it will be on for a while, I have a 40watt light in my Tuckerbox freezer for heating

bookers said:
I think I have worked it out, surprisingly it's only 9 watts that heater, so on heat cycle it will be on for a while, I have a 40watt light in my Tuckerbox freezer for heating
9W! Looks like I'll just go with installing the 28W reptile heating pad I have.

Thanks heaps bookers, you've saved me some work and disappointment.

krausenhaus said:
9W! Looks like I'll just go with installing the 28W reptile heating pad I have.

Thanks heaps bookers, you've saved me some work and disappointment.
No dramas, I play with these things everyday

Latest posts

Back