Fridge Butchering

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonY

The Imperial Metric Brewery
Reaction score
Well I am sure this was being talked about a month or so ago but I can't seem to find the discussion. Given that the warmer months are coming up my keg fridge temperature cycles a bit too much as it has a freezer compartment on the top with a duct going down into the fridge. The temp in the fridge is governed by how much the duct is open so as the day night cycle happens the fridge temp can vary quite a lot.

Anyway with a temp controller from Dreamboat and a jigsaw I decided to decomission the freezer section. Didn't hit any wires or pipes and to be honest if I had I was prepared to take it as a sign from the beer gods to buy a chest freezer to replace it :p (I may still do that).

Anyway a couple of crappy pics:
DSCF0481__Small_.JPGDSCF0482__Small_.JPG

EDIT: Oh and I should say it is working much better now :D

Nice bit of lateral thinking mate, top darts.

Quick look at your fridge there Jason.....
bulk buy temp controller
AHB magnets
ventmatics?
fire extinguisher

how aussiehomebrewer are you?

dreamboat

Don't forget the drip tray was from Doc :p

Waiting for the bulk buy on chest freezers! :eek:

Having trouble with my temp control in my chest freezer.. what kind of controller came in the bulk buy?

Dixell digital ones, see the bulk buying forum. I have this controlling to a 2 deg range which seems to be working well. You can really notice when you open the door.

muga said:
Having trouble with my temp control in my chest freezer.. what kind of controller came in the bulk buy?
[post="97291"][/post]​

muga, what kind of controller are you using?

Sorry to bring up an old thread

But have many other people gone for the fridge/freezer renovation

(ie knocked out a wall here... put in a window there :) )

I thought that the fridge / freezer had tubes etc through it - is this the case with most models?

Cheers

I am definatly NOT a fridgie but this is how i see it...
There should be 2 lots of coiled piping, one cools down the inside, the other gets rid of heat on the outside..
If you have a fridge/freezer that has has only one of these you can bet your left nut the missing coil is built into the skin.
Be it on the inside or outside skin... if you cut through either.. it dont go no more..

If you have a fridge/freezer with both coils, inside and out you are pretty much right to hack away..
just trace back where the coil lines run back to the compressor...and dont go anywhere near the coil lines..

Sqyre... ;)
DISCLAIMER:To work on a Fridge Freezer you should be a Electrician/ Fridge repairman guy... :huh:

Hey, this is probably old hat, but the guy in video has a cool way of finding where the coils are in a fridge. He makes a cornflour mixture and paints it onto the surface he wants to drill.

It might work in a freezer too.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the cleverest way I've seen to do that - common sense really I suppose. But bloody clever. :)

Back