Freshest Brew Ever :)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superoo

Reaction score
Grabbed half a bag of Malt1 grain barley straight out of the BILs harvester at 1 pm this arvo, dropped it into a bucket of water 6pm tonight starting the maltingprocess, will be ready in about a week.
Then planning on doing a harvest ale In about 2 weeks using hops straight off of my cascade bines into the kettle, for the freshest possible beer on the planet.
Cheers, hope you had a good chrissy...

Nice one! I misread the post and thought you'd just brewed with unmalted barley, but then I reread and realised you were doing the malting yourself. Hope the process goes well, let us know how the malting goes!

No worries kaiser, have malted before and its dead easy, so looking forward to this one,

No worries kaiser, have malted before and its dead easy, so looking forward to this one,

sweet as superoo

i got a few buckets coming down in the new year to try. Hope it works out well.

Did you guys put any canola out too?

ok I know I'm probly gonna get told to do a search here but I have searched it and malting seems quite complicated to me.
I know a farmer who grows malting quality grain who is willing to sling me a few bags every now and then if I can malt it and send some back his way (he's a home brewer too but is yet to move to all grain)
can anybody provide me with a link to the most basic malting system they know of?

ok I know I'm probly gonna get told to do a search here but I have searched it and malting seems quite complicated to me.
I know a farmer who grows malting quality grain who is willing to sling me a few bags every now and then if I can malt it and send some back his way (he's a home brewer too but is yet to move to all grain)
can anybody provide me with a link to the most basic malting system they know of?
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Awww....p;x=27&y=11

Best way is to practise with a cup full, and dont try to do too much.

I did 5 kg first time and ended up with 4kg malted.
That was too much first time.
I just soaked 2.5 kg yesterday.

Grain in bucket.
Fill with water about 2" above grain.
Gentle stir / sieve off anything that floats.
Leave 12 hours.
Drain water off 8 hours.
Fill with water again say 6- 8 hours.
Drain after about 6 hours.

When grain starts to germinate (chit) a small white spot will start appearing at one end.
At this time spread the grain out about 1 to 2 inches deep on a piece of chipboard.
Keep it dark as you can, and gently fluff it about as often as you can to prevent mould.
Keep it slightly moist with a spray bottle each time you move it around.

Keep doing this until the acrospire is about 80 % the length of the grain.
Thats the plant growing from the root end, under the husk up to the top end.
You can cut the grain open and see it, but you'll quickly learn that you can see it without cutting the grain.

Then dry at 45 degrees c until it is nice and crunchy.
( for pale malt anyway).

Thats it in a nutshell. Keeping the size small will allow you to dry it in an oven.

As said, try it with a cupfull first, then you'll see how easy it is.

This is a brief description, theres more technical advice around, but this works for me.

Cheers :)

Hi just been malting a bit of barley myself due to the unavailability of malted grain and the expense of postage. I live in Queensland and it's been hot as usual for this time of year. When the barley is germinating I have found I have had good results by malting in a temperature controlled fridge at 15 degrees.

I soak at this temperature as well, for about 6-8 hours, and then leave it for the same time before soaking a second time. At this point the grain has started chitting and I put it in a small tub covered in aluminum foil and put it in the fridge. Once a day I turn the grain and spray it to keep it moist.

When I tried malting at room temperature (about 35 degrees during the day) the grain would go moldy and not much of the grain would germinate had poor results. I used feed barley but I'm hoping it makes good beer though!

I roasted the grain for 2 hours at 100 degrees after drying. I don't own a dehydrator but I found that the trampoline in the sun did a fantastic job! Free drying and dried it nicely over a day and a half.

Another thing to note my efficiency was 80% that of shop bought malt barley. I have a pride of Ringwood sMasH brewing right now with my grain; it will be interesting come tasting time! It's very light in colour and tasted pretty good when checking the specific gravity!

I hope you have good results with your barley and malting process. If anything it's good fun getting right down to the raw barley and malting it yourself!

Back