Fresh Wort Kits In Canberra?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer_010

Curry Master
Reaction score
Does anyone in the ACT know where to buy a fwk in Canberra that doesn't cost $55? There's a HBS in Kambah but man it's expensive compared to Sydney :eek: !

Brewer 010
You have to factor freight into the price, if you were to buy such kit from say Perth the freight would make your wort pack cost even more than $50. add that to the fact that Colin Marshall, the proprieter knows more about kit brewing than any being in the known universe then at $55 you are probably getting not just a bargain but some sage advice, probably.
Of course you could always join Canberra Brewers, Colin gives a massive 10% discount to members.

K

so far i have only seen them in kambah, but if there are cheaper out there i too would be interested.

by the way, HELLO fellow Canberran brewers!

Hey Doc can you give me some more info on the Canberra Brewers club.

Also i have heard that Pub Gas in Hume have co2 bottles for a $150 deposit, no rental, just refill costs, can anyone confirm, there closed until the new year.

cheers cozmo

Brewer 010
You have to factor freight into the price, if you were to buy such kit from say Perth the freight would make your wort pack cost even more than $50. add that to the fact that Colin Marshall, the proprieter knows more about kit brewing than any being in the known universe then at $55 you are probably getting not just a bargain but some sage advice, probably.
Of course you could always join Canberra Brewers, Colin gives a massive 10% discount to members.

K

Dr K
I've been meaning to head along to the Canberra Brewers for a couple of months but between work and other things haven't been able to make it ... is the January 1st meeting on this thursday?
And yeah, a big hi to fellow Canberra brewers :icon_cheers:
Cheers.

just checked online, you can get them for $35.91 but costs $17.20 more for delivery to Hall in Canberra,thats $56.70 but you do get SAF yeast with it. thats through ESBEER in NSW. can anyone do any better???

just checked online, you can get them for $35.91 but costs $17.20 more for delivery to Hall in Canberra,thats $56.70 but you do get SAF yeast with it. thats through ESBEER in NSW. can anyone do any better???

as Dr K said..... join the Canberra brewers & you'll be getting for under $50 B)
If your local homebrew store has the products you want & is price competetive - support them :)

cheers Ross

hey Ross im all for supporting local small business,i do where i can, i was just giving a comparison. but being a single parent with a part-time job i need to save where ever i can. plus i need to take into account the hour round trip and $10 in fuel. so far i have been sharing my money around the 2 LHBS and online shops such as yourself.

;)

so far i have only seen them in kambah, but if there are cheaper out there i too would be interested.

by the way, HELLO fellow Canberran brewers!

Hey Doc can you give me some more info on the Canberra Brewers club.

Also i have heard that Pub Gas in Hume have co2 bottles for a $150 deposit, no rental, just refill costs, can anyone confirm, there closed until the new year.

cheers cozmo

Cozmo, I "purchased" my gas bottle from Tony at PUBGAS in Hume about 2 years ago. Cost was about the quoted price. Refills are around $50 if you pay using the folding stuff.

For you guys who want to buy fresh worts, do all grain. Its cheaper and you can make your brew to your own style.

I also am NOt a member of the Canberra Brewers, but will be going along in the new year and probably joining. I always read their newsletters on their webpage. Its packed full of brewing info etc.

Cheers lads

Steve

thats $56.70 but you do get SAF yeast with it. thats through ESBEER in NSW. can anyone do any better???

Col also throws in a free pack of yeast.
The first Canberra brewers meeting is the first thursday in FEBRUARY. We dont meet in January.
Cheers
Steve

Georges Liquor in Phillip also sells kits but I don't know what the price is - and he knows stuff all about brewing...Colin is your man.

Cheers,
TL

The FWK can also be purchased from Butts & Brew in Calwell and Queanbeyan. Not sure of the prices.

I will also reccommend Colin in Kambah, Prices are a bit higher, but so is the knowledge base. If you are looking for the best prices, shop around, but if you want/need good advice, pay a few dollars more and support a fellow brewer.

For you guys who want to buy fresh worts, do all grain. Its cheaper and you can make your brew to your own style.

Totally agree, however when you need to get something down quick and don't have the time for a brew day, I reckon they are the best alternative. Many times better than a kit or similar

Ahhh, it all seems too difficult....I'll just go without and make my own. Maybe next time I'm in Sydney I'll stock up - bulk buy anyone :p - I'll get an ABN and sell on from my garage! Any takers?

I love supporting HBS (and I do buy most of my gear from them) IF they're not fleecing me or providing crappy service. I've ditched a number of HBS because of either.

I have no doubts that Colin at Kambah is a good bloke with lots of experience, and whenever I'm down in that part of the world I pop in and grab a few things. But it won't include a FWK!

The FWK can also be purchased from Butts & Brew in Calwell and Queanbeyan. Not sure of the prices.

I will also reccommend Colin in Kambah, Prices are a bit higher, but so is the knowledge base. If you are looking for the best prices, shop around, but if you want/need good advice, pay a few dollars more and support a fellow brewer.

Don't be too hard on the retaillers - FWK's are the most expensive thing to freight all over the country. They are heavy and bulky and so the transport company is probably making more than the retailer from the kit.

We make the FWK sold by Morgans and the following retailers can order the kits in at a discounted freight rate:

Brew Your Own At Home Shop 5 Primmer Crt, Kambah Village , ACT, 2902 Telephone: 02 6296 1412

Butts 'n' Brew Kaleen Shop 10d Kaleen Village, Kaleen, ACT, 2617 Telephone: 02 6241 0119

Butts 'n' Brew Calwell Shop 16a Were Street- Calwell Shopping Centre, Calwell, ACT, 2905 Telephone: 02 6292 3939

Georges Liquor Stable 17 Dundas Crt, Phillip, ACT, 2606 Telephone: 02 62853075

Might save you a few dollars.

HTH,
David

Thanks, Dr K, Troughy, Ross and Steve for the kind comments and recommendations. FWKs do indeed make better beer than most kits. After all, they are all grain. The freight component is ridiculously high, but, then, what is one to do? I can also highly recommend membership of the Canberra Brewers Club. It's probably the most successful brewer's club in the country, maybe even one of the oldest (formed in 1994, as far as i can remember - which isn't far) very ably led by some of the best and most knowledgeable brewers in the land. The membership fee is a pittance and your beer will be immeasurably better just from being a member.
Shoppe.

Latest posts

Back