Fresh wort kit as a partial mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker

Reaction score
I've been looking at the Craftbrewer fresh wort kits and it struck me that they could be made cheaper by adding 15 - 20 litres of extract & hops to make a partial mash.

That would be $50 + c$30 (malt & hops) = $80/2 = $40 per 20L

No harder than a typical extract brew day for twice the volume and you could increase hops in to the bargain.

I've not factored in yeast as I'd use liquid and re-culture anyway.

Has any one done this before and how did it turn out if so?

I think you are making too much work for the gain you may or may not get. 40 litres for $80 =$2.00 per litre as against 20 litres for $50 =$2.50 per litre.
Craftbrewer wort kits are a terrific bit of gear.I have used a few and don't think I would risk spoiling one to save such a small amount of money.
I think the cubes hold about 21 litres so you might get a little more than 20 litres out of one anyway.
Just a happy customer,
wombil.

Fair point.

Are they as good a doing your own all grain?

I think my thinking is in reverse too - I was trying to think how i can use all grain/partial mash with the limited kit I have and came up with the above.

Additionally just brewing a regular extract would cost the same and I'd have two different brews out of it.

I think I may start doing that every so often as time is my biggest issue.

Could be a good experiment.Give it a go,why not.
Yes their wort kits are very good.I got a couple of ales and just add a sachet of us-05 and it's done.

I used some of the FWKs from Grain and Grape when I was behind on my brewing and they were bloody excellent. Riggers black IPA and a Saison from memory. Both very nice but I think I favour the black IPA which I fermented low and slow with US05 from memory. Could easily see myself doing fresh wort kits again only during those really busy times or when I simply CBF.

Back