French Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonY

The Imperial Metric Brewery
Reaction score
Looking like a good chance that I will be off the the south of France for a few days on work :D ... probably will have a limited amount of free time but should I make it to somewhere with a selection of beers .... are there any good ones I should sample first? Pardon my ignorance!

Will probably make a 1 day stop in the UK on the way so will be hammering the liver there if I can :)

Bring me a back a Thomas Hardy Barley Wine - so that i can taste it prior to brewing it.

JasonY,

You're not going to the Burton Conference in Monaco are you ?

If it was me I'd be tracking down Saisons.
Strictly not french but from the french speaking part of Belgium is the Saison. The Saison (also refered to as the French Country Ale).

This beer has a glorious rich golden color and fruity aroma, with subtle hints of citrus. These exciting flavors come from the use of Saaz hop. The generous use of this special hops creates a spicy bitterness, which is partnered with a malty sweetness. The yeast imparts an interesting, yet subtle, spiciness and aroma which lingers on your palate in the finish. For the wine lovers in our audience, the flavor profile is similar to a Gewurztraminer wine with it's fruity spiciness.

This little-known beer style comes from the depths of the Wallonian (French speaking) part of Belgium along the French border. Once regarded as only a summer drink, this style is now available all year round. Saisons were originally brewed during the winter by farmer-brewers, then stored for drinking during the summer. The beer had to be sturdy enough to last for some months, but not too strong so as to still be summer and harvest quencher.

Saisons are local to the western part of the province of Hainaut, in old, small, farm-like, breweries close to the Borinage coalfield. Examples include the crisp Saison 1900, from the brewery Lefbvre, in Quenast, south of Brussels; the tart Saison Silly (named after its home village); and the spiced Saison de Pipaix. The last is made by a steam-powered brewery dating from the 1780s.

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
You're not going to the Burton Conference in Monaco are you ?

If it was me I'd be tracking down Saisons.
Nah not going that conference (Crude Unit Control & Optimisation Workshop), will be in Lavera where-ever that is in the south of France.

Will be stoked if this is Saison country as this is my next brew ala your recipe in the DB. May have to put it down so I can compare it with that sampled overseas.

Ahh could be a research trip if I find some good ones :)

JasonY

Sorry to dissapoint you, but I dont think you will find many good beers where you are going. Unfortunately France puts more importance on its wine than its beer & like Doc says unless you are able to get up near the Belgian border its not looking good. Most bars in the south of France will have a couple of French brews on tap but from what I remember they where pretty ordinary. You might find a bar that has Leffe on tap. I did , it got me out of the depression I was in from lack of good beers. Unfortunately they charge an arm & a leg for beer in france in bars. If you get anywhere near a supermarket on you stay go in. They sell beer in there on the shelves & they usually have beers from many countries. and there cheap. I use to go in & grab a six pack of Leffe & stick them in the frozen food section & come back 20 mins later. Anyway, I hope you can find some good beers & its a shame you cant spend some more time there Its a great country even allowing for its lack of beer
Cheers Crusher

the only one i drank when i was there was kronenburg it was crap go to the supermarket

Cheers
lagernut

hmm well I guess I can live in hope :huh: .... if there is no decent beer where I end up I guess the wine will have to do :)

Will be trying to get to a pub with fullers ESB on tap in london .... fingers crossed!

Back