Frementation Issues - Foam refluxing out airlock.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdbeak55

Reaction score
** IN SHORT BREW IS FERMENTING AND CREATING EXCESS FOAM AND MIXING WITH HOPP RESIDUE AND ERUPTING BACK OUT MY AIRLOCK. (For more datailed description read below)
Currently brewing a 23ltr coopers Heffe wheat beer kit. Initially i boiled 12ltrs water with 300g LDM ,30g Halletau & 30g cascade pellets in a synthetic mesh sock from brewshop. I noticed a considerable amount of hopp residue remained after sock containing hopps was removed. (I wasnt too worried as i have used same sock for dryhopping and said hopps wasnt an issue)
After combining 12ltr wort with 1x can coopers Heffe extract and 800g dextrose I sealed and let sit overnight to stabilize temp @ 20 deg celsius before adding yeast (11.5g Safbrew WB-06) I noticed a thick white foam sitting ontop of wort ???? Added yeast anyway.
24hrs later inside if fermenter has foamed up and airlock if bubbling rapidly intil a mix of foam and the hopp particles are refluxing out the airlock and creating a thick sludge which prevents airlock from working corectly.
Could it be an infection that created white foam in wash of is this common with wheatbeer kits or could it be just need to use a finer grade biab bag.

Any help on the topic would be greatly apreciated .
Cheers Birdbeak

congratulations its a boy.
no its just a normal vigorous wheat fermentation.
you can replace the airlock with a hose running in to a bottle with sanitiser in it.

Cheers barls this is exactly what i wanted to hear. Just replaced airlock with hose to sanatizer bottle. May your glass be ever filled with beer and your bed with women.

Latest posts

Back