Freezing Milled Grains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

BobbyBoucher

Reaction score
HI All,

I had planned on brewing this weekend but due to some other things I couldn't get time to do it. As I don't have a mill at home I buy my grains already crushed from the LHBS. Due to some travel plans I won't be able to brew and then complete a full ferment in the next few weeks so I'm wondering if I can store the cracked grains in the freezer until I'm ready to brew again?

Cheers

Bob

BrewLizard

Reaction score
You definitely can. When I bought grains pre-crushed on a per-recipe basis, I used to freeze each bag for 72h to kill eggs from borers/weevils (all grain will have some amount of tiny eggs).

From a staling perspective, it probably doesn't matter too much (especially at this time of year), but I doubt it would hurt.

Grmblz

Reaction score
Freezer is a good idea, but vacuum pack it, if you don't have a vac machine just use clip lock bags and suck the air out.

akx

Reaction score
Surely the risk of moisture and the malt going slack in the freezer would outweigh the benefits of keeping it out for a few weeks?

Hangover68

Reaction score
Surely the risk of moisture and the malt going slack in the freezer would outweigh the benefits of keeping it out for a few weeks?
Yes i would choose a good air tight container over storing in the freezer if its only for a few weeks.

Latest posts