Freezer Without Temp Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeasty

Reaction score
Ive got a large chest freezer @ home, and was wanting to use it to lager my...well lager.

Im fermenting in my fridge with a fridgemate already, but I havent got money for another temp controller (just yet) to set it to the 2 deg. i want to lager @.

I was wondering if i could just plug it in to a simple timer i have here and say switch it on / off every hour or so to do the same thing (just not as accurate)

How long do u guys think would be enough as to not freeze the beer (not literally) but enough to keep it cold? Chest freezer is in my shed, and theres a few hot days coming up...

Say 15mins every hour?

opinions??

:beer:

Thats an awesome idea, as i have a spare fridge atm, but dont have a temp controller, but do have a spare timer as well...

might fill a carboy up with water and experiment a little...

Hi ...great idea but where do you get the timer from please ...?

"I was wondering if i could just plug it in to a simple timer i have here and say switch it on / off every hour or so to do the same thing (just not as accurate"

cheers simple

Mines like this, just a 24hr plug in timer that goes in the wall. $10 from bunnings...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HPM-TIME-SWITCH-Pow...1QQcmdZViewItem

1d1d_1_b.JPG

Thanks yeasty ...get me one of those i will ...

cheers simple

Get a fridgemate and be done with it

$52.50 delivered + bits , total $68

only way to go

err..i got a timer here....i aint got $52.50+bits to pull outa me rear, so i was just wondering how well it would work.

Obviously not as well as a fridgemate, just it to get me by until i can buy another fridgemate...:)

I don't have a temp controller. I only use my timer for the fridge. Haven't tried it with my freezer yet. I would think 15 minutes every hour would be too cold. Maybe 5-10min/h. It's all a bit of trial and error until you get to know your own fridge/freezer.

BTW, where would you get a fridgemate from?

err..i got a timer here....i aint got $52.50+bits to pull outa me rear, so i was just wondering how well it would work.

Obviously not as well as a fridgemate, just it to get me by until i can buy another fridgemate...:)

Although the pictures you see are of a new controller that I knocked up for a $80, I am sure you could get away with one like it for less. Go to a fridge mechanic or the likes and see if you can pick up an old coolroom thermostat. I have a friend who found one at a dump. The cord is a extension cord I bought from Bunnings for nix. All up you may get away for one for under 30 bucks. Save a few headaches as well, trying to get the timer set-up right.

IMGP1438.JPG

IMGP1439.JPG

I think you would need to do a little experamenting first, Fill a fermentor with water, and see how it goes, set the frezzer to max, so when it has got power it runs, but I think as long as your not going to be opening and closing it all the time, I would do longer runs with bigger gaps, say 15 mins each 2 hours.

se how it goes, but the frezzer (comp) needs to run for a while to get the pressure up in system and thermal exchange happing over condensor, I dont know if 5 mins would do it, but try.

It will work, but run time is the key, and as the temp outside increases, so too must your run time.

BTW, jaycar sell a temp contoller kit for $35 ish, simple to assem (solder iron and about 30 mins) does the same job

Back