Freezer Size For A Bar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
What size chest freezer would be needed for serving 4 kegs ?

Batz

Thanks nonicman
Not sure what size to go , space is not really a problem but the freezer will look a bit out of place with my bar.

Batz

Batz,

If you add a collar (3-4 inches tall, ive used wood) to the top of a 150Litre chest freezer, you can fit 4 in it. You can then use the collar for drilling the hole for the gas in so you dont need to make any holes in the freezer itself.
Without the collar on the top you would get two in the bottom of the freezer, the two that sit on the step for the compressor underneath would be too high.

If you dont want the collar options, you will need ~200Litre.

I think mine is about 210 litres. I can fit 5 18-20 litre kegs in it just, and a 10 litre on the motor step.

So around the 200 litre mark should see you right.
What i did is I made a couple of templates out of cardboard for the diameter of the 18-20 litre kegs and placed them in the freezer to make sure they would fit.

Beers,
Doc

Doc in your 210 litre do you think you would be able to fit 4 kegs and a cube or would I need to get something bigger again? I think it's time for an upgrade as I can only currently fit 2 kegs and cube in my system...

I have been on eBay in search of a chest freezer for moths now and nothing good as come up within reasonable driving distance, are there any other decent places to look - the trading post has come up with little either.

What price would I be looking at spending roughly for something around the 215 - 320L mark?

Hey doc have you got some photos and other deteails (ie. model no) handy?
I remember seeing some shots a while back but I can't seem to find them again and I remember I liked the setup very much.

I have a FISHER & PAYKEL - 215L freezer. It fits 3 kegs possibly 4 (I only have 3) and cc cube on the motor step.

Cheers

Mugga,

Best to keep you eye out int he local classifieds, in sandgroperville its called the "Quokka".
Mine cost me $200 and is a 300L, been going happily for a few years now. Use if for fermenting/lagering depending on whats happening in the brewhaus. :D

Al

I am just about to buy a smallish one:

150L kelvinator (standard cube size) $350
215L fisher & paykel slimline (nice size) $460

I'll probably be going for the fisher and paykel could fit about 4 and a slab I am guessing.

Fammer said:
I am just about to buy a smallish one:

150L kelvinator (standard cube size) $350

I'll probably be going for the fisher and paykel could fit about 4 and a slab I am guessing.
[post="81994"][/post]​

Make sure that you measure INSIDE before you buy, a 200Lt one will struggle to fit 3 kegs. Iv'e just converted a 300Lt one, that takes at least 4 kegs, and a couple of cubes.
Just put 4 kegs on a bit of cardboard, and cut around them, then take that with you when you measure, and don't forget the compressor hump.

Normell

Make sure you measure the height of the kegs too. Pepsi Kegs (ball-lock) are a bit taller and may not fit on top of the motor. I have a F & P freeezer and it holds 6 coke kegs (pin-lock).
My advice would be to not drill holes in the freezer to attach taps. Simply attach them to the hinges at the back of the freezer with the aid of a small piece of wood. That way you can easily revert your beer machine to a freezer if you want. (Goes down better with SWMBO too)
PM if you would like a pic.
cheers

I'll probably be going for the fisher and paykel could fit about 4 and a slab I am guessing
Ive got this one and can fit 3 kegs and a cube on the hump with a 5kg extingusher in it - you could fit 4 if your gas is on the outside

Thanks all for the info

Only have to find one in my area , that I can afford

Cheers
Batz

Sounds like your in the same position as me.. been waiting for one to show up for some time now, only small 150Ltr ones seem to be going in my area. :(

I just made the Siliconchip Coolmaster (http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_104576/article.html) and it works great - would be good to put it to use in converting a freezer.

Why put your gas on the inside of your freezer?. The lines will easily go under the seal on the back (side) of the freezer, leaving your bottle out.

Back