Freezer Conversion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
I've been thinking about what should be the next addition to my brewery.
I think a chest freezer is the go, before summer comes around again.
So I've been doing a bit of research into freezer conversion projects.
Here are a couple of the good links I've found.

OreganBrew Freezer Conversion
KegoratorMadness
Ken Schwartz
K&E Converted Freezer
CountryBrewerThornleig Freezer Conversion

Primarily I just want it for fermenting and lagering in. I already have a keg fridge so don't need another for dispensing.

Have any of you guys done a freezer conversion?

Cheers,
Doc

Gotta find me one of these tap fonts for my freezer conversion.

Beers,
Doc

TapFont.jpg

Well tonight I bought the next addition to the brewery.
It is an 1100 litre chest freezer.

Yeah baby 1100 litres of capacity for temp controller fermentation. My current fermentation fridge will be jealous as hell :lol:

Will pick it up next week.
Not sure if I will put a collar on it like the links to other conversions listed in this topic as it will primarily be for fermentation, not a keg fridge.

Will have to sort out temp control for it though. So now I'm on the lookout for a temp controller.
Also have to clean out the brauhaus and do some re-arranging to make room for the beast.

Beers,
Doc

1100 Litres !! Damn, that's impressive.

Are you looking to put a few bodies in there as well ? :p

I "may" be getting my hands on a much smaller one as a freebie. Was thinking I'd just do one of the cheap timer plugs on it (if I end up getting it).

Have fun Doc - and remember, no matter what they say, size DOES matter :lol:

dont really like the look of the taps out of the side of the chest freezers,

thats the beauty of them ,getting the font out the top....

that country brewer fridge has gotta be one of the best ive seen.

Doc, If you need one of the temp controllers I will be purchasing one from Grain & Grape tomorrow as they are having their 20% off sale, so I could pick you up one and mail it on.

Let me know.

Brenton,

Are you talking about this one ?

Thermostat, Heating Make your own fermentation box.
0 to 40 degrees C or 30 to 110 degrees C. $99.00

Have you seen, them/heard good reports about them ?

Beers,
Doc

Wow, that's impressive Doc! .. at last count I think we put you down for about 7 fridges?? and now you're adding a 1100 litre freezer!. Are you advising Sydney Electricity about future grid upgrades????

I want one too

Doc,

Yep, thats the one. From what I have read it is the same one that everyone else uses.

I have looked at them at G&G and it has a dial for the temp and a temp sender unit coming out of the box.

I am pretty sure that they all do the same job, I certaintly cant find anything better, I have been looking for 3 months!

Cool Brenton,

Their website says the sale is for web orders too, so I'll order it today via the web.
Thanks for the offer though.

Beers,
Doc

If you want to do things cheaper do what I do. If you go to actrol or kirby and pick up a thermostat with a range of around 0-20 just replace the one in the freezer. It takes about 20 mins and about a quarter of the cost.

Unless you want to use the freezer as a freezer every now and then of course.

Doc, No probs.

I have been watching those digital ones on ebay and he hasnt sold one since he started offering them. They do look good though. Not quite plug and play though.

Thanks Justin,

...but also at the moment G&G have a 20% off sale.
So theirs is also $75.

Just rang John at G&G and ordered one.
Should have it in the next couple of days.

Beers,
Doc

Nice one. Damn good sale that. :D

Good for piece of mind too, buying through these guys. At least you know it will do the job with out problems. Enjoy your new toy.

JD

The freezer has entered the brauhaus

Picked up my 1100 chest freezer tonight.
wooohoooooo.
Now have to try and fit everything else back into my shed :huh:

Will post pic's later.

Beers,
Doc

Here is the beast.
Only just managed to get it out of the nursing home I bought it from. Damn skinny door ways (although I think I may have broken a bone in my hand).
Fits rather snugly into the shed. But it is function over comfort right ? :D

Doc

ChestFreezer002.jpg

Here is a 60 litre fermenter and a 25 litre fermenter in it. Still plenty of room left over.

Actually this morning I put in a full 25 litre fermenter and there is still stacks of room.

Wired in the thermostat last night and dialled up 10 deg C, and this morning that is what the temp was sitting at. Beautiful.

So now I have to get brewing to fill it up. Will be doing two AG brews this weekend. First will be an Irish Red and the second will be Jayses Skunk Fart Pale Ale.

Beers,
Doc

ChestFreezer007.jpg

doc,
you are about two seconds from turning pro!! that is one impressive freezer set up. looks like the broken hand just may have been worth it.
joe

Back