Freezer Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sintax69 said:
Get your soldering irons out boys and girls Silcon Chip magazine has a temperature controller for firdge and freezers kit in junes issue

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_104576/article.html

If any one has it can they post pls
[post="66464"][/post]​

As we speak, im testing mine.......its a bloody beauty, when the project is finished full details, but im just about finished and I have come well under my $500 budget, including the brand new freezer, and 4 tap font....

THe kit it self is very easy to make, the instructions suc ass, but its easy to follow the pics, I still have a 2.2ohm resistor left over and have no idea what its for, but im going to call jaycar and find out, all in all for $40 its a bloody beauty

I belive this was the kit i posted a month or so ago, under the title cheap temp controller" or somthing similar

you guys finding it works well?

cheers :beer:

so far so good

I just got off the phone to the tech support at Jaycar, he has no idea either what the extra resistor is for, so were assuming its an error.

But yes im very happy with it

Ozbrewer,

What's the temp range? Also can it be easily reversed for heating?

Curious. Wouldn't mind having a look.

Warren -

my thoughts to, but its range only goes up to 30 deg c

Its all to do with the IC in the probe, it does funky stuff with voltage according to its temp, so in theory it can be done, but the range isnt good enough..

Im looking at another option, jaycar have a thermomiter with a hi/low allarm, if a switch can be put in the place of the alarm, it can switch a solinoid to engage the power to the element, and the hi alarm will turn it off......In theory it will work

Just got my kit today yeah

ozbrewer:Its all to do with the value off the pot and/or the resistor next to it it just makes a voltage dividier to referance the comparator to the temp probe.The probe is -40c to 100c so iam going to look at using it to drive my kettle element as well the traic is rated to 6amps but Dicksmith have some 16 amp more than enough

exelent info, im a real dummy when it comes to this stuff, im only limited to what i have blown up, let me know how it comes out, and what changes you have mede to have it work in reverse.......the guy at jaycar also wants to know if anyone can do it, and how its done so they can let others know....

Good luck

ozbrewer said:
Im looking at another option, jaycar have a thermomiter with a hi/low allarm, if a switch can be put in the place of the alarm, it can switch a solinoid to engage the power to the element, and the hi alarm will turn it off......In theory it will work
[post="66486"][/post]​

A local Jaycar dealer actually did this but used the alarm to trigger a sound effect to know when a kettle was boiling. From memory he said the output was very low and could only drive a FET transistor which he then used to operate a relay. With a decent FET you should be able drive a solid state relay without any probs.

sintax69 said:
Just got my kit today yeah

ozbrewer:Its all to do with the value off the pot and/or the resistor next to it it just makes a voltage dividier to referance the comparator to the temp probe.The probe is -40c to 100c so iam going to look at using it to drive my kettle element as well the traic is rated to 6amps but Dicksmith have some 16 amp more than enough
[post="66588"][/post]​

Sounds like an easy fix to change a pot.
You might have to look at the hysteresis (dead band) as well. If you increase the temp sense range by a factor of 3, the dead band will also increase. ie if the temp difference is 3degC it would become 9degC.
Let us know how you get on.

I picked up the SC magazine last night and read the article. Probably the only thing that is disappointing is the idea that you have to also supply a 9 or 12 volt input (battery). Initally looking at the system I acutally though the entire unit was drawing off the mains supply.

My plan is to hopefully modify this so no additional power supply is required or use a mains supply pack/charger to run the unit.

All in all it looks a neat little unit.

Hey Markws,

Instead of modifying the kit why not start from scratch and design it to suit your personal needs. I made one similar to this for my fridge with a range of -2 to 7 C and it has adjustable hysteresis. I think it cost me about $20 and it runs from the power supply to the light (now the light doesnt work but I know whats in my fridge :D )

aDCP01788.JPG

And the crownies are back ups for when the kegs are empty <_<

aDCP01784.JPG

Jye

Jye said:
Hey Markws,

Instead of modifying the kit why not start from scratch and design it to suit your personal needs. I made one similar to this for my fridge with a range of -2 to 7 C and it has adjustable hysteresis. I think it cost me about $20 and it runs from the power supply to the light (now the light doesnt work but I know whats in my fridge :D )

View attachment 3072

And the crownies are back ups for when the kegs are empty <_<

View attachment 3071

Jye
[post="66618"][/post]​

mate that looks good, but im a bit of a dummy when it comes to making this sort of stuff without nice color photos.....and a pre made PCB, is it pretty basic to build?. any chance of further pics, and or instruction?, i realy want to make somthing for my heating system for the herms

Hey ozbrewer,

Sorry but because it is dealing with mains power I dont want to go in to great detail for a beginner...believe me it hurts when you get electrocuted :blink: If Mark goes ahead and modifies his it will be easier for him to tell you what to change since it will only be a matter of a few components.

As for those comments about the crownies there is no defence for them and I will happily take any abuse :D

Hi Jye,

Thanks for comments and pics of your set-up.

Ozbrewer - I will try an post further information over the weekend at some stage.

Regards

MarkWS

Just bumping this thread up, to see whether the Coolmaster Fridge/Freezer Temperature Controller is still trekking on and performing well.

If any owners of ones could post some more feedback as to the long term performance of the unit particularly from Ozbrewer, i would be much obliged

I will be making my first trip to Jaycar hopefully this weekend.

Thanks

Will

yep still going realy well, im very happy with it

if you have any problems puting it together let me know

might have to get me one of these for my bar fridge

Latest posts

Back