• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Free: Wyeast Greenbelt Yeast Samples ( S E Melb)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfy

Reaction score
We have not yet had the forum-reshuffle and the promised 'Yeast' forum, so I didn't know where else to put this post.

I've recently recultured some Wyeast Greenbelt yeast.
This yeast was made specifically for Austin Home Brew and as such is not available anywhere else (and they don't ship Internationally) so it's hard/impossible to get here.
But if anyone in S.E. Melb (who wants to come and pick it up from my place) or from Melbourne Brewers (I can bring some to the next meeting) would like some, please let me know and I will save you a sample.

Since it's only sold by one vendor there is not that much information about the yeast around, but this is one of the better more reliable descriptions of it's characteristics: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/austin-ho...tml#post2542310
My impressions with this yeast ... Has spicy, earthy esters, especially in the aroma. Pretty clean ester flavor, slightly more esters than WLP001. Mutes the hop flavor slightly, but leaves a crisper, lingering hop bitterness on the back end. Definitely more flocculant than WLP001 -- when I use Cali ale I usually end up filtering, definitely not necessary with this yeast. When the beer is young, it will have an oniony flavor (seems to be the esters), but that seems to age out quickly. Accentuates the "cat piss" flavor and aroma of some American "C" hops.

Overall, it is most similar to Wyeast 1272. I still prefer Wyeast 1272, American Ale II, over this yeast for the beers I have sampled made with it (APA, Lake Walk), but I think it would be an excellent choice for a hoppy American IPA. I will give it another shot next time I brew up one of my IPAs.

In addition to American IPA, I think the ester profile and attenuation of this yeast would be ideally suited to an American Stout or Robust Porter style beer. The alcohol tolerance is listed at 10%, pretty low, so I would avoid using it on any of the imperials. In practice the alcohol tolerance of WLP001 is much greater at about 16%.

I cant ever get to the Melbourne Brewers meetings but if you have any spare in 2 weeks time and youre at the caseswap I'd love to give it a try.

Wolfy, I'd love a sample if u could bring to next neon brewers meeting.

Edit. Happy to pm u a list of yeasts I have in case u want anything I have for exchange

Chuck me down too..

recently aquired a stirplate... a new toy!!!

Capture.JPG

:icon_chickcheers:

Midnight Brew, I have some available now (freshly made starter) and will harvest the yeast-cake from the current batch in 2 weeks, so either time-frame is good.
However, I'm not sure about my attendance at the case-swap (I don't have beer to swap, likely I won't even have beer to bring/share on the day and the MB dinner is on the night before so a leave-pass might be pushing it).

CM2, Yob, no problems will bring some to the MB meeting (happy to share the hard/impossible to-get-stuff I have, better to share it around so it may be available to others in the future).

iamozziyob and Midnight Brew's samples have been delivered (or will be tomorrow at the case-swap).
CM2 you were not at the MB dinner tonight where Dereck claimed your slant (since he won the old-dick it was hard to refuse his request), so I'll make you another and hopefully remember to bring it to the August meeting.

Anyone else that wants to visit my place in the next few days can have a rinsed sample ... else it will be a time before I brew with it again.

For reference, the American Wheat beer I made with it was pretty good when served young (only 9-10 days) with the yeast still in suspension.

How did you guys go using this yeast? An American ale yeast with high attenuation and flocculation seems like the dream...

Latest posts

Back