(free) Open Source Brewing Program (win & Mac?)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With regards to the open source programme, I gave it a go, saw the way it handles metric measurements, and then promptly deleted it.

Hey Mark,

I don't see any problem at all in the way Brew Tagret "handles metric measurements" sure if you have it set to US (tools / options / use US units)
it will work in Gallons and Oz but if you have that box unticked it workes in metric (litres and grams)

I don't use it myself either, i've started developing my own brewing software which is more flexible and user friendly than the ones available on the market.

Rob.

When you use metric it displays for example one litre as 1.000mL

I guess the . is meant to be a comma.

But anyway I tried adding a 45 minute hop addition and it stuffed that up too. I tried 0.45, I tried 45, it stuffed it up, I was over it and quickly deleted the app. I'm pretty picky with apps as I'm a developer myself and can't stand cryptic nonsense.

Fair call mate,

I must admit i did notice that myself. I agree it is a bit of a clunky program and is missing a few show shoppers for myself as well
like showing percentages on the grain bill. I guess it is still in the early stages of development and with enough user feedback will
probably get there.

Rob.

1. How do they compute colour?

They take the published grain colour to give the colour contribution from the different grains, add in various parameters and assumptions to account for the changes in wort colour from the laboratory mash to your brewery (eg boil time) and then give an ESTIMATED colour, hopefully taking into account the non-linearity of the dilutions from dark grains.

But you need to remember the result is just an estimate - compare it to your result and make the necessary adjustments. Treat the calculated EBC (European Brewery Convention) colour as your EBC (Estimated Brewery Colour) ie IN YOUR BREWERY.

2. Do they heed the solubilities of poorly soluble salts when attempting to replicate regional water supplies?

Well, as I said above you should not try to copy the quoted regional water profiles - but if you want to 'go it alone' then there should not be any problems with getting the proper salt concentrations to dissolve. After all if Limestone will dissolve in Burton, but not in your mashtun then either your water is 'different', you are trying to dissolve it at the wrong temperature or you have the wrong quantity.

A bit of research will show you that Gypsum has higher solubility in cold water and that Calcium Chloride dissolves if you look sideways at it.

Oh, there is a third way, but I can't tell you here as this is something that that we cover in our advanced brewery courses.

Dave

Hey guys, I'm all for sharing free stuff and as I am on holidays I have too much time on my hands.
Found this mash calculator, seems ok, though I'm sure more experienced mashers will find it riddled with flaws. Be interested in feedback. You can add new grain additions to the quite limited list.

I have scanned and installed it, virus free, so download away. It will run on windows xp, vista, but not '98.
Cheers, John.

[topic="0"]www.practicalbrewing.co.uk/calculators/beerengine/[/topic]

Edit- link not working, cut and paste into browser.

Back