Free open course on the chemistry of beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just found out that my contact is not being extended, came back to my desk. Saw this thread and have joined up! Might lead somewhere :)

Parks said:
FYI I just stumbled across a sub-reddit for this course http://www.reddit.com/r/chemistryofbeer
Nice one. Of interest:

"...[a] message from the Chemistry of Beer course instructor, Dr. Mark Morvant, in a discussion in his General Chemistry online course:

All Future Beer Students,
The base level knowledge you will need to understand the course is Organic Chemistry I. The Chemistry of Beer course will look at the compounds in the ingredients and how they are transformed into beer. It would be helpful to know the functional groups, organic structure notation, acid-base mechanism, nucleophilic substitution, and resonance structures.
Although the course is an upper division course, we are taking the approach that many of the students may only have a limited knowledge of organic chemistry and biochemistry. This course is a nice review and should be helpful as a resource for the Chemistry of Beer course.
I might heave out my mint-condition Chemistry text books and finally put them to use!

Just joined up. 79 in the group now.

I figured since I know that h2o is water I've got the chemistry downpat. Plus my wife is half decent at it. That should see me through! I assume being in Aus that the course will start on the 14th for us.

BrewRick said:
I figured since I know that h2o is water I've got the chemistry downpat.

Dihydrogen oxide is a dangerous chemical!

Looks interesting, I'm in! 95 now in the AHB Group. Hope my HS chemistry holds up.

Just signed up for the course and joined the AHB group.

I work as an analytical chemist, have a BSc (chem major). I don't do much work in Organic Chem, and I struggled with it in 3rd year uni, I do still have my text book on the bookshelf. I am happy to help if you have questions.

glenos said:

I work as an analytical chemist, have a BSc (chem major). I don't do much work in Organic Chem, and I struggled with it in 3rd year uni, I do still have my text book on the bookshelf. I am happy to help if you have questions.
My new best friend! :D

Mardoo said:
My new best friend!​
I will take payment in beer, I should be in the contact list as Glen.N or Glen

I also signed up for the Fracking course, I've been thinking for a while I need to do some more study.

glenos said:

I know who is doing all our exams now ... LMAO

Probably me but access to the material and reading is more important than passing so worthwhile regardless.

School's out for summer! Actually, it just started, there are some material there already and discussions on them (teacher's pets, I got a good laugh reading some comments there, perhaps I'm just too old and cynical).

Latest posts

Back