• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Free Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gulf

Reaction score
As per title, free hops to give away in Adelaide!

My hop plants have yielded more flowers than I could possibly use in a year. Rather than store them away to go stale I would prefer to distribute them to keen, local home-brewers who would like to experience using fresh, organic, home grown hops.

I have a limited amount of both Cascade and Hersbruker varieties, packed into "ounce bags". These have been grown this season in my back yard, and harvested over March. I can assure you these have been grown using nothing but cow poo and compost, and at no time have pesticides or similar been used. Below is an illustration of what you may receive:
bagged.jpg

Please note that I cannot give any guarantees of quality, AA% ratings, moisture content, or the absence of bugs, bits of my hair or carpet. You are getting these for free, so what you get is what you get.
I have used the Hersbruker with great success in my own beers (estimating 4% AA), but I am yet to sample the results from the Cascade.

As I have a limited amount to give away, I will try to distribute what I have equitably but can make no promises of logic or fairness in my method. I am not willing to post these, so apologies to those not in Adelaide, it's pickup only I'm afraid.

Please PM me as soon as possible if you are interested. While I am expecting payment in karma only, samples of your brews (or a 60+ litre mash tun...) will of course be appreciated. :)

I was just out back pulling down some fresh hop flowers and I come in to read this. Must have been a good year where you are giving away ounce bags; pretty generous offer.

QldKev

PM sent. Awesome offer. A++ :)

I was just out back pulling down some fresh hop flowers and I come in to read this. Must have been a good year where you are giving away ounce bags; pretty generous offer.

QldKev

Kev, off topic but do I hear you right, you successfully grow hops in Bundy? Bribie Island climate isn't all that much different as we are quite 'maritime' compared to Metro Brisbsane or even Caboolture / Narangba. Now you've got me thinking. :)

Kev, off topic but do I hear you right, you successfully grow hops in Bundy? Bribie Island climate isn't all that much different as we are quite 'maritime' compared to Metro Brisbsane or even Caboolture / Narangba. Now you've got me thinking. :)

:icon_offtopic:

I would say it depends on what you call 'successfully'

I have had hops for a few years, this year I only have one bine left (rest have been transplanted elsewhere). I never get a commercial crop from from hops, but get heaps to play with. This year the first crop stalled during early growth so that was a write off; this has never happened before. This morning I pulled off nearly a full bucket worth, so pretty good for the second pickings. I hope in a few weeks to get a few more in a late crop aswell. I should also note, mine have been kept in a pot in decent potting mix, next season I may drop them into the ground. They do love a good drink of water.

Pic of this mornings harvest.
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...st&p=616028

QldKev

I'm relied to PM's from everyone so far.

There still may be more going so PM me if you are interested. Remember it's pick-up only from Adelaide!

That is a very nice thing for you to do Gulf! Have sent you a pm!
Have a good day! :)

OK, I've allocated some to everyone who responded - check your PM's for details.

That's it though, all gone. About 50 bags (1.5kg) given away, and I obviously want to keep some for myself too... :)

Back