Free Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerard_M

Reaction score
Anybody who knows a farmer that would like free feed for cattle or pigs give me a call.
Now I know there are not many farmers in the Sydney metro area, but the Southern Highlands or Central Coast areas have plenty of small hobby farms.

Anyway the offer is there just call Gerard Meares on 0416107767

Can't help you with the farmers Gerard but i have got to ask why a home brewer is getting rid of his grain.

Maybe my imagination has run away with me again but I can only think of things like rodent contamination, massive mash failures, or at worst SWMBO said so. :(

Cheers

You're probably right TDA, my missus just throws it on her garden, for mulsch she says! :)
Cheers

Why chuck out so much grain? This is the spent grain from Paddy's Brewery in Sydney. I started as the brewer here back in Feb and it pisses me off that I still can't find anyone that will take some free feed even though there is such a bad drought. I really don't like chucking it in the waste skip.
Cheers
Gerard

The problem with spent grain is the rapid speed of spoilage. See the "word of advice" thread, for example. You'd need a farmer who can pick it up frequently. Unless you can dry it out for storage?

Hmmm the big boys have farmers who come pick up their spent grain and hops.

Mebbe a word with say the Malt Shovel brewery would find you someone to pick up your spent grain. Alternatively, an ad in Grass Roots or Earth Garden or similar mag will find you plenty of takers.

Jovial Monk

Back