• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Free Entire 2 Year Por Old Hop Plant

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
Free to a good home.

Pick up only, I'm in Rutherford, hunter Valley NSW

It could be split into about a dozen plants i recon but i cant be bothered.

Its just been dug up today, and is in a fridge wrapped in wet newspaper in a garbage bag.

This plant produces LOTS of hops...... Kilo's, and will take over your house if you water it with bleach and petrol!

PORHop.jpg

plenty of little buds...... this is just one side!

PoRbuds.jpg

POR3120104.jpg

POR120130a.jpg

Pm me if your keen....... its going in the bin in a few days if i get no response.

Pm me if your keen....... its going in the bin in a few days if i get no response.
You're not going to promote how good you thought the hops were? ;)
(I read the hop-plantation thread even if some here might not).

I used them the year before and they were great. But that was a hot summer.

I wanst happy with the hops this year but it didnt get hot at all, and i also didnt feed the plants like i did the year before, it just got water now and then.

I think i picked them too early and didnt dry them enough. I had them in a spot where they didnt get enough sun and i think this effects them as well.

I dont have a better spot to move them to and dont have time to tend to them so as i said...... free to a good home.

Wolfy...... if you have a problem with me giving plants away for free because i don't want home grown hops, let me know. Please excuse me for not being as good at growing hops as you!

I followed the 2011 hop thread periodically but did indeed miss the post you were referring to Wolofy. Scary Stuff, but I'm up for the challenge.

I've spent a bit of time working in Rutherford and digging it's horrible black clay soil and the terroir where I live is quite different. I'm hoping this will be to my advantage. If not, then no biggie. I like experiments even if they don't all work out and the dreaded POR will again find itself up for grabs.

@ Tony. I'm more than happy to share so feel free to chop off a hunk for Rob S.

The hops i got frpm it the first season were great, but i put a lot of work into the plant, fed it, etc etc.

Made a couple awsome Aussie Ales and a stout with them.

The beer i mentioned in the hop thread this year ended up being infected, it grew a white skin on the top not long after i said the hops tasted like custard :p

I opened another pack and i hadn't dried them enough.... yada yada yada.

It was a bit sad to take it out actually, they are great fun to grow.

cheers

Wolfy...... if you have a problem with me giving plants away for free because i don't want home grown hops, let me know. Please excuse me for not being as good at growing hops as you!
Why would I have a problem?
However, I do find it highly amusingly ironic that your profile says "Defender of the Pride.............. of Ringwood" yet you're happy to throw or give away your own POR plant. The little winky thing ;) should have been a good indication that my comment should not have been taken seriously, as per your use of the :p emoticon.

But since we're being serious and all, about 1/2 my plants didn't produce any crop this season and some (Columbus) are likely to be worse than your POR when used to make beer, so I have no recourse or need to criticize or judge your plantation - which looks very healthy and active in the pictures.

haha your getting rid or that mutant tony. I can vouch that its a goer I bought 2 plants and gave tony that one as I already planted the other. But it was growing in my fridge at 4deg so it didnt sleep even at them temps. Hope you get some use out of it Paul I kicking myself I planted the wrong one but I am sure I would of half killed that one to haha

+1 for feeding and watering, its a lot of work.

I think I have convinced my mother (a avid green thumb) to grow hops for me hahaha should have jumped on this one!

Sorry to see it didn't quite work out Tony, it will be a well travelled hop by the time it finds its permanent home!!

The other one I bought at the same time as this one I gave to you has been going stupid too, far too many POR hops for me to work with that's for sure. If only it produced cascade.......

:D :D

No probs. It's a huge rhizome and I'm not after kilo's of POR. Just a few brews worth so I can make my own mind up if it's as bad as everyone, oops I mean most people, make out.

@ kelby: Got a columbus and chinook here and if I get time and can get some cuttings rooted I'll sling you one of each. Sadly the Cascade didn't make it. (sob, sob, cry)

I think I have convinced my mother (a avid green thumb) to grow hops for me hahaha should have jumped on this one!

I still got one in the ground you can have, let me know when you can come and I will dig it up when you are here!. I broke a bit off 2 days ago I though was dead and it had green shoots coming out of it :eek:

I havnt really looked after mine and last year I was away working 10 days out of 14 and lost alot to early and late picking. Its 2 years old to as I planted it before I gave that one to tony (different supplier) I put my hand up in 2 places and got both so handed one off to tony I forgot about in the fridge and it was growing in there :p

Just dug my chinook up paul thanks for the offer, but I might not grow any this year. If you get to big a crop to use and wanna sling me some them I might test them for you ;)

I still got one in the ground you can have, let me know when you can come and I will dig it up when you are here!. I broke a bit off 2 days ago I though was dead and it had green shoots coming out of it :eek:

I havnt really looked after mine and last year I was away working 10 days out of 14 and lost alot to early and late picking. Its 2 years old to as I planted it before I gave that one to tony (different supplier) I put my hand up in 2 places and got both so handed one off to tony I forgot about in the fridge and it was growing in there :p

Just dug my chinook up paul thanks for the offer, but I might not grow any this year. If you get to big a crop to use and wanna sling me some them I might test them for you ;)

The trouble is getting down there...I live in QLD haha

The trouble is getting down there...I live in QLD haha

I leave from the Hunter Valley to Tweed Heads next Sunday. Just saying, if you want me to courier it.

@Kelby - Any of the chinook you dug up salvagable?

I leave from the Hunter Valley to Tweed Heads next Sunday. Just saying, if you want me to courier it.

@Kelby - Any of the chinook you dug up salvagable?

Wow thanks man but nah all good...my mum has the attention span of a kitten with a laser pointer haha

Back