Free Beer!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geneabovill

Reaction score
... To anyone experienced BIABer who can sit in on my brew day tomorrow and tell me what I'm doing wrong (if anything)
First crack at all grain so wanna get it right. Or at least rightish.

Bit more notice mate and I would have helped out.If you don't find anyone just stick to the BIAB checklist. You will be fine. Just be well prepared and dont rush. It's all about knowing your process.
Cheers Ad.

... To anyone experienced BIABer who can sit in on my brew day tomorrow and tell me what I'm doing wrong (if anything)

Whats your equipment & are you going to do no chill?
Can't be there in person but could possibly help out via here or telephone.
Cheers

Ah the nerves before the first AG brew.

I remember mine well, and it is still one of the best beers I've made.

I reckon you need to have a little faith in yourself. Preparation is key. Make a list with EVERY step on it, get all you ingredients laid out and you'll be sweet. Its like the first time you get laid, you make some mistakes and its a bit awkward, but you're all the better for the experience. F%$k ups have taught me an awful lot about brewing.

What is the worst thing that can happen? you'll make some beer.

Good luck.

Equipment is a fifty-odd liter pot, a ghetto chiller (about four meters of copper that I had laying around, a bag, a three ring burner, two fermenters (double batch), hops, grain, water, huge spoon.

Equipment is a fifty-odd liter pot, a ghetto chiller (about four meters of copper that I had laying around, a bag, a three ring burner, two fermenters (double batch), hops, grain, water, huge spoon.

Thermometer might be handy <_<
Have fun.......
Cheers
BBB

Doesn't Tony, or Les the Weizguy live at Medowie?

Are you using any brewing software?
If not, download BrewMate which is free & input your recipe.
All steps will be worked out for you. You will just have to guess your loss to trub & chiller for your first one & record your actual readings. Test your gravity into fermenter as well as your volume & this will give you an idea of how your efficiency went. Maybe work out 70% for your first one & adjust from there for the next one. I lose 2.5lt to trub & chiller & get 20.5lt into fermenter for my 23lt batch beers & hit 85% efficiency. I use a hop bag when boiling which helps cut down on your trub volume & I brew in a 40lt urn.

Are you attempting a double batch for your first brew in a 50L pot?

50L pot won't be big enough for a double batch unless you have second vessel nd do that dunking/sparging method floating around . And you will need a thermometer, this isn't optional.

Honestly, that BIAB style of brewing is dead easy. If you can make a cup of tea, you can do BIAB.

32L water
5.5 kg grain

will get you around 24 litres at end of boil.

Yeah, I've got about three thermometers. Digital, dial and capillary. The pot is 60L by volume, but would def. not do more than a double in it. My grain bill is designed for a 38L batch.
I've got Beersmith, but my computer packed it in last night, so relying on an iPhone app.
As far as this goes, I figure I'll make my mistakes on this one ... And the next one ... but I'll eventually end up with good beer.

You'll be fine it's not rocket science

I'd stick with a single batch first.
Then repeat a second batch for experience before you go the whole hog of a double.
Your first couple of runs are getting to know your rig more than anything.

musc

Well, I can say that my rig truly embraces the spirit of home brewing. I'll post a pic if I don't destroy it out of frustration on brew day.

Back