Free Beer!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backlane Brewery

Reaction score
Went into the local Vintage Cellars yesterday, as well as a couple of Creatures pale ales I picked up a leaflet from the counter:
Come along & try some of the world's finest boutique beers, including: Duval, Chimay, Sapporo, San Miguel, Kronenburg, Leffe, Hoegaarden, Schofferhoffer, DAB, Trumer Pils and many more. Over 30 beers on tasting.
Saturday 8 April, 4-8pm, Vintage Cellars 232 Carlisle St. Balaclava. Bookings not required.
May be a goer for anyone on this side of town. 4 hours worth of free Chimay... :party:

kronenbourg a boutique beer? ROFL.
As a background, the basic beer produced by Kronenbourg would be equivalent of VB or tooheys. The 1664 is basically an attempt at doing an upmarket beer, a bit like a crown lager. Whilst it's more drinkable than the basic crap beer, it's far from the best french beer you can find.

I suspect the same would apply to san miguel, but I don't know enough about the spanish market.

Basically they're "boutique" because they're the only beers from those countries sold here ... which means serious marketing power behind them, which means large brewery, which means average beer.

the difference with leffe and chimay for example, is that these are actually good :)

So quaff them for free, but do yourself a favor and don't start with them :)

yes kitkat, I'd agree with you on 1664, & San Mig & DAB too.
I am just hoping to a/ get some GOOD free beers down me- Chimay, Duval, Leffe- and b/ encourage the bottle shop to keep stocking decent beers.
St Kilda is party town for most people, the guy in Safeway liquor says they sell more slabs of VB & cans of bourbon & coke than anything else.

kitkat said:
it's far from the best french beer you can find.

[post="49936"][/post]​

Reserve that honour for 3 Monts :super: :super:

Warren -

San Miguel Pilsner was on tap in the Members bar at Royal Randwick, and I loved the stuff.The guy that owns the brewery owns a horse named Don Rafael among others.Whenever his horse won a big race he shouted the bar fo 1/2 an hour.
By the way it is Phillipino not Spanish.
Keith

By the way it is Phillipino not Spanish

Actually it is a Spanish company and is made in Spain, but the stuff we get here in OZ comes from the Phillipines. Historically the Phillipines is a colony of Spain.

Another interesting one is the link between Heineken and Bintang. Indonesia used to trade heavily with the dutch, and Bintang is intended to be a Heineken rip off. If you look at the label, they are very similar with the start etc.

I'll be there, free beer is free beer.

Back