Free Beer Fridges

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score
Just went to Harvey Norman today & bought the wife a small upright freezer in place of the 800L chest freezer she's allowing me to convert into a beer fridge...
While picking up the new one from the collection bay I noticed about a dozen used fridges/freezers & some looked in pretty good nick. I asked the story & apparently they are all the ones where the owner has just asked them to be taken away when the new one's delivered. He told me someone comes about once a month to clear them, but if I wanted any it was first come first served & help myself...
I have no current need, but a great source of totally free fridges... :D :D :D

Umm would you be able to help me out with an address please? I need a beer fridge as my other fridge is full of fementer at the moment!
Thanks

Tristan

Here's a list of stores in Brissy, so any one would possibly do
Complexes for : BRISBANE METRO

ASPLEY
1411-1419 Gympie Rd.
PH: (07) 3834 1100

QUEEN STREET MALL
(Computers/Electrical only)
CITY 170 Queen St.
PH: (07) 3013 2800

BROWNS PLAINS
Unit 3, Browns Plains Commercial
Centre, 28-48 Browns Plains Rd.
PH: (07) 3380 0600

CARINDALE
Carindale Homemakers Centre,
Cnr. Old Cleveland & Carindale Sts.
PH: (07) 3398 0600

EVERTON PARK
429 South Pine Rd.
PH: (07) 3550 4444

FORTITUDE VALLEY
Level 1, Homemaker City,
Citygate, 1058 Ann St.
PH: (07) 3620 6600

INDOOROOPILLY
Indooroopilly Shoppingtown,
318-322 Moggil Rd.
PH: (07) 3327 1300

LOGANHOLME
3890-3892 Pacific Hwy.
PH: (07) 3440 9200
MORAYFIELD
245 Morayfield Rd.
PH: (07) 5428 8000

MT GRAVATT
Big Top, 1290 Logan Rd.
PH: (07) 3347 4111

OXLEY
2098 Ipswich Road
PH: (07) 3332 1100

GOLD COAST
29-45 Ashmore Rd, Bundall.
PH: (07) 5584 3111
TWEED HEADS SOUTH
29-41 Greenway Dr.
PH: (07) 5524 0111

don't restrict yourself to HN. I'm sure many of the retailers like clive Peters etc will have them - just ask the question...

Hmm, Ill be checking that out next time I go looking for a fridge.

I asked the story & apparently they are all the ones where the owner has just asked them to be taken away when the new one's delivered.

Looks like they could be quite old.

I will be having a look around in the next few weeks with the increase in Brisbane temp, I really cant do any more brewing until I get a fermenting fridge :(

Report back on how you go P&K.

peas_and_korn said:
so, these are old models, and they just give them away??
[post="80990"][/post]​

Yes, just help yourself (at Harvey Norman, Shailer Park)) - I would be asking first, anywhere else.
They are old & you take the chance it won't work, but many people (especially in good areas) can't be bothered with selling their old white goods & are just happy for the retailer to take it away. Some of the ones outside HN the day I was there, looked very tidy. My daughter told some of her Uni friends & they scored a twin matching side by side Fridge & Freezer - both working :D

ive got to buy a ute

great tip, thanks Ross!

I got down to Harvey at Loganholme today and they had 2 fridges, one quite old but would have been a good keg fridge and another nearly the same as this, we took it since a mate was after a new fridge. Unfortunately it doesnt work, should have expected it since it was like brand new but it was worth the risk. Ended up ripping out the thermostat to replace the one in my keg fridge.

While we were there we checked out Clive peters and the good guys but they dont keep old fridges out the back. Will be checking out a few more places tomorrow...the hunt continues for a fermenter fridge :p

Guys,

Popped round the back of Harvey Norman at Shailer Park this morning, as I was dropping off dvd's from last night.
There's a 381L Westinghouse Signature Series upright freezer, that looks in bloody good nick. Obviously it might not be working, but would make a great storage cabinet even if it doesn't...

Back