Free At Dans: Beer Styles Booklet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can make a Mex lager better than Sol? Was your "title" for a LAGER? If not your wife is misinformed

tnd

Well done dickhead

2 minutes into visiting AHB after a few weeks away from it and one of the first posts I read is this...

You and others like you are reason for many people boycotting AHB. Post something useful... Wank

SWMBO pointed this book out to me when we were in Uncle Dan's yesterday (out of HB :( ).

I laughed then told her to get fucked. She looked thoughtful for a moment then didn't even get mad.

They barely even sell any beer that can teach you anything - why would their advertising help you?

[EDIT: typo]

They barely even sell any beer that can teach you anything - why would their advertising help you?

Hardly true for someone who is drinking megaswill and looking to try new styles (which I was some 5 years ago).

Sure it's no taphouse, slowbeer, etc but if you ignore the out of date factor (isn't a huge problem at my local store) there is a sufficient number of styles for newbies to try .... ESB, APA, IPA, Belgians, Wit, etc etc ... they may not be the best in their style but they offer something.

Sure, but my assumption is that that is not who I am talking to here.

Nice little booklet. Noticed Gage Road is quite prominent. Partly owned by woolies of course ;)
worst pale ale other than wingwalker i have ever tried, very treacley (syrupy) although maybe they don't know how to store/ rotate it, heaven forbid.... :rolleyes:

I must be one of the lucky ones but I've never had a problem with anything I've bought from Dans. The two branches I frequent are North Lakes where they have to receive all their deliveries immediately into the dock as they don't have any personal yard space. Chermside is in the mall itself so likewise. Beers always seem to have a good date and the DAB, OSH, TTL and of course my Zywiec varietes have always been spot on.

They recently had a discount promotion for 8 singles plus a free carrying thingo so I got a variety of Polish, Czech etc which worked out at $3 per 500 ml, and they were all delicious.

I guess the trick is to find the Dans that have their own yard and forklifts and pallets sitting out in the sun and strike those off your list B)

And why would any AHB member actually need assistance in choosing beers? Even Darren? :wacko:

+1 I have never had a bad drop from Dans not that I go in that often I think it is getting an unfortunate slagging.
The range of beers stocked is quite good and seems to be growing, well in my local anyway.

They seem to be stocking a larger range of Australian Craft Beers too which can only be a good thing.

It is the only place round here that stocks Punk IPA so that's worth it IMHO.

I do most of my shopping at Dan's as well. Their range is heaps bigger these days - good on them for meeting the growing demand for craft beer.

When you get a "warehouse" grog shop as big as Dan's, unfortunately the chances of a store manager not rotating/clearing stock as he should increase... part and parcel... but if you look at your best before date, you shouldn't have much of an issue really.

I must be one of the lucky ones but I've never had a problem with anything I've bought from Dans. The two branches I frequent are North Lakes where they have to receive all their deliveries immediately into the dock as they don't have any personal yard space. Chermside is in the mall itself so likewise. Beers always seem to have a good date and the DAB, OSH, TTL and of course my Zywiec varietes have always been spot on.

getting slightly :icon_offtopic:

When i was at murrays at manly last and had had a few...i got into a yarn with murrays daughter about poor handling of their beers from DM.

She seemed quite aware and better informed of the situation than me. They had made their own investigating with Dans due to ongoing complaints about bad bottles.
She said that Dans openly admit that most of the mishandling takes place not at individual stores but at the main distribution warehouses when they have to much stock to handle or not enough staff to handle it and beer gets left outside to wills of nature for " short periods" and there is nothing they can do about it....
We both came to conclusion that beer should be purchased only from those who care about it.

Anyway could be true could rubbish just to shut me up, but i have had more bad beers than good ones from uncle dan.

EDIT: Funnily enough Punk IPA has always been pretty good from dans for me

I try very very hard to avoid buying any imported beer from Woolworth's establishment because of the very poor condition of their beers in total.

But just to let you know if you purchase a single out of date bottle of imported beer and then write a letter of complaint to their head office (via their website). You will receive a phone call from the manager of store you purchased it from offering you a carton up to the value of $80 (well that was a couple of years back).

Being known for selling out of date beer is very bad for the "brand" so they like to sweeten you up as best as possible. Where as poor quality beer can be blamed on a number of other players before the mud sticks to them. Plus they would use the "we don't have any issues with other brands like VB NEW etc.

Imports wether they be from interstate or overseas would be subjected to transport. therefore be in less than ideal conditions during travel. so wouldn't this mean that all beers from all stores will have been disrespeced at one stage or another. The bigger companies leaving them out in yards etc and small companies suffering from not having thier own transport company are at the mercy of the mob moving it.

Just food for thought.

Back