Franziskaner Hefeweizen Dunkel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bought a couple of these from a good local bottle shop (Northmead Cellars). I'd really love to have a go at brewing a clone, but I've only brewed with kits and a few additives so far. Has anybody got a simple recipe that goes close to this beer?

You really need to go All Grain to make the real specialty beers, You probably could use some Wheat malt extract but its not the same.

What colour is the beer, i havnt tried it, I made a hefeweizen and a Dunkelweixen recently with 60% german wheat malt.

Generaly a wheat beer will be A minimum of 50% wheat malt (by german law) and whetever else to make the beer to how you want it.

Brew between 1.044 and 1.055 and bitter to between 8 and 15 IBU.

Thats what the stylw guidlines say anyway.

I an currently brewing a wheat beer brewed with 60% wheat, 30% munich and 10 Rauch (smoked) malt

Use germak hops to bitter.

Easy.

I brew with WLP300 but there are lots of good wheat yeasts out there.

Check out the white labs and Wyeast websites.

A Wheat yeast is essential to produce the corect flavours.

cheers and good luck

You could try a pale wheat kit beer and a small amount of chocolate grain (maybe 50g), or maybe the following recipe from BYO mag (reproduced for teaching only):

Dunkelweizen

dunkelweizen.jpg
We frequently have customers request a recipe that is both different and easy to brew. The next time you find yourself in this situation, consider making a Dunkelweizen. When you combine the rich malty character of a Munich Dunkel with the fluffy, fruity, banana and clove-like esters of a traditional Hefeweizen you get a great classic style easy to duplicate at home.

Malt: A rich melanoidin character from Munich and Vienna malts should combine with the somewhat grainy wheat for a flavorful, medium bodied beer. A very small amount of de-bittered black malt or German Carafa can be added in order to achieve the desired light amber to mahogany color. An ambitious all-grain brewer should consider a decoction mash with 5060% wheat combined with Munich and/or Vienna malts.

Hops: Go light on the hops! Use just enough noble bittering hops to keep the beer from being cloyingly sweet. The flavor and aroma should come from the malt and yeast so no other hops are needed.

Yeast: Embrace your yeast! Good German hefeweizen ale yeast should be used to produce the banana and clove-like esters appropriate in a Dunkelweizen. You can control the amount of esters produced (to a certain extent) by watching your fermentation temperature. Ferment a little warmer and youll get more esters, a little cooler and youll get less.

The key when devising a recipe for a Dunkelweizen (or any other beer) is to make it in a manner that you believe will live up to your personal taste. That is the main reason many people homebrew. Want a hop-head Dunkelweizen? Add more hops! An Imperial Dunkelweizen? Double the extract/base grains and the bittering hops! On the other hand, if you are one of those brewers who like to stick to a recipe, give the recipe below a try!
Kevin DeLange
The Brew Hut
Aurora, Colorado

The Brew Hut Dunkelweizen
(5 gallons/19 L, extract with grains)
OG = 1.046 FG = 1.012
IBU = 13 ABV = 4.5%

Ingredients
6 lbs. (2.7 kg) wheat liquid
malt extract
8 oz. (56 g) German Munich malt
8 oz. (56 g) German Vienna malt
8 oz. (56 g) German dark crystal
malt (65 L)
12 oz. (2856 g) Weyermann
Carafa II Malt
(optional for slightly darker color)
3.5 HBU Hallertau Hersbrcker hops
(1 oz./28 g of 3.5% AA) (bittering)
3/4 corn sugar or 1 1/4 cup dry
malt extract (for priming)
White Labs WLP300 (Hefeweizen Ale)
yeast or Wyeast 3068
(Weihenstephan) yeast

Step by Step
Steep the grains in 155 F (68 C) water for 30 minutes. Remove and rinse grains with 165 F (74 C) water. Add and stir in wheat malt extract. Bring to a boil and add hops. Boil for 60 minutes and then chill to 7075 F (~23 C). Ferment for about 710 days or until all fermentation is complete. There is no need for a secondary fermentation.

Seth

I made my Dunkel with:

2.5KG hoepfner light wheat malt @ 3.5ebc
1.5KG IMC munich malt @ 12ebc
400g Moepfner Melanoiden malt @ 40ebc
300g Cryatal wheat @ 125ebc
100g black malt @ 1270ebc.

35 EBC (fairly dark)
Bittered to 15IBU with Hallertauer Mittlerauh in 75 min boil.

Brewed with WLP300.

Next time i will use less black malt but you live and learn these things.

Its a bloody nice beer i tell ya.

cheers

Thanks fellas. It looks like I'll have to start learning how to make an AG or, at least, partial mash pretty soon. From reading various posts, it doesn't sound too daunting. I might check out a few local HB shops to see if they are holding any demos.

Back