Franziskaner Hefe-weisse Dunkel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scroopter

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows the yeast strain they use in the Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel? I had a couple the other night and they were delicious.

cheers,

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows the yeast strain they use in the Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel? I had a couple the other night and they were delicious. Im looking at doing an all grain, so Id be interested if anyone else has done a clone of this beer and what grain they used also.

cheers,

Would have thought Wyeast 3068 would be the one. Or close enough...

Use Weyermann wheat and barley - makes a difference.

Ever done a decoction?

I had some of this beer recently, and my feeling is it tasted more like they used WY3638, rather than the Weihanstephaner strain WY3068.

That's just a feeling, so if anyone has better knowledge, I'm more than happy to accept that.

Ive done quite a few brews with the Wyeast 3068, and Im pretty sure it wasnt that one in the Franziskaner. 3068 has more bananary, fruity esters in it. The Franz was very smooth.

I quite like the franziskaner weizen, it's a lot different to Weihenstephan though, less in your face. It seems they use a "purebred" in house strain for primary fermentation (according to their website anyway) which is not readily identifiable. So I'd try the 3056 bavarian wheat blend which is a softer kind of wheat yeast. There are many variables in the ferment though, so if you nail it, I'd be happy to see the details.

cheers

Grant

Some info about Spaten-Franziskaner Brau from the "Brewing with Wheat" book:
Hefeweissbier: single infusion @ 62C, no decoction, 70% wheat
OG 1.047 5.0% ABV 12 IBU
Hefeweissbier Dunkel:
OG 1.047 4.9% ABV 12 IBU

... but nothing I could find about yeast after a quick flick through, sorry.

I'll keep looking; I'll post in here if I can find the name of the yeast they use. In the mean time, I may have to try and find one in the bottle and try stepping the yeast up...

Scrap that; just read that they use a different yeast strain for bottle conditioning...

I had some of this beer recently, and my feeling is it tasted more like they used WY3638, rather than the Weihanstephaner strain WY3068.

That's just a feeling, so if anyone has better knowledge, I'm more than happy to accept that.
+1
From my tasting, I agree with Warra. More complex than W3068. The last weizen I brewed with W3638 tasted quite like the Franziskaner (not the Dunkel) to me. The beer was fermented at 20C, in a temp controlled fridge.

I'm going back to experimenting with ferment temp with this yeast. Seems that the esters hang around longer with a cooler ferment, but more testing is required. I shall need to brew more soon.

One tip that might help too, is to reserve a litre or so of wort. Freeze it in a PET bottle, and thaw (maybe re-boil and chill) and add it as a bulk-prime. I feel you get a much smoother flavour and finer carbonation, FWIW.

Best of luck and please report back here with results, either way.

Les

Back