Franziskaner Clone.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70

Le roi est mort..
Reaction score
I've got a mate with a birthday approaching who loves the stuff, really loves it.

I cant remember where I found this recipe, but It looks pretty close to me.
If you can see possible improvements, adjustments, or mash / fermentation tweaks please chime in as I'm trying to get as close to the original as I can.

19l batch.

3.18 kg German wheat malt.
1.25kg German pills malt.
110 g Belgian aromatic.
60g Acidulated malt.

30g Hallertau 3.8% AA @ 60
7g Spalt 4% AA @ 15
7g Perle 7.5% AA @ 15

Mash at 65 deg for 90min (?)

WYeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen @ 19 deg.

cheers.

I've got a mate with a birthday approaching who loves the stuff, really loves it.

I cant remember where I found this recipe, but It looks pretty close to me.
If you can see possible improvements, adjustments, or mash / fermentation tweaks please chime in as I'm trying to get as close to the original as I can.

19l batch.

3.18 kg German wheat malt.
1.25kg German pills malt.
110 g Belgian aromatic.
60g Acidulated malt.

30g Hallertau 3.8% AA @ 60
7g Spalt 4% AA @ 15
7g Perle 7.5% AA @ 15

Mash at 65 deg for 90min (?)

WYeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen @ 19 deg.

cheers.

Hey Dave70,
Some are going to advise you to rest for 20ish mins @ 52C for the wheat in there.
Personally I wouldnt change that recipe.

ProMash is telling me that would give you about 22.5 IBUs, which could be a little high for style. people have said Franziskaner has a little more bitterness than most of the other german wheaties, but personally i think its just more spicy hop character than most, rather than actual IBUs. Your late additions might give that, but i would still pull the bittering addition down a tad, perhaps to 18? Everything else looks tip top.

Lovely beer franziskaner

sim

OK, beware, newbie questions follow.

I've spent a bit of time reading through Nick JD's threads on entry-level BIAB, I reckon I'm going to give it a go.
So I'm going to try this Franziskaner recipe.

Couple of questions:

1. When you guys say to reduce the bitterness from 21 IBU to about 18 (I would even go less), how do you actually achieve that? e.g. just less Hallertau, less time in the boil, or something else entirely...

2. I'm going to start with a smaller batch for the first couple of BIABs (say 10L instead of 20L). Do I just halve everything in the ingredients list, or should some items be reduced by a different percentage?

3. A ferulic acid rest is recommended, is this done between mash and boil?

Thanks in advance blokes.

Mike

A ferulic rest is a mash temp rest . So your temp at dough in should be around the 30 or 40 whatever temp for it is and then after x amount of time at that temp you raise the temp to 50* C for another rest if you want and then to 66*C for the rest of the mesh schedule . That is the way I would do it but that is my way and nobody elses and I'm sure you will get ten different answers from the same question .

Ferulic acid rest is around 42 degrees and is done before main mash/sacch rest (and before protein rest if doing one).

For very first AG, I would choose a recipe that doesn't require step mashing, despite being a fan of step mashing.

I do a ferulic acid rest by doughing in with hot tap water. But hot tap temp varies and so does grain temp and amount - so calculate the strike temp, don't guess.

But often I do infusion step mashes (4kg grain, 8L water) by doughing in with hot tap water which gives me mid 40s then boil 2L in the coffee kettle. Adding this gives me mid 50s.

Then boiling another 2L gives me early 60s. Then a top up for hitting exactly the sacc rest temp I'm after.

Means you can step mash in any container with a 2L coffee kettle - which is pretty handy. And those first two rests make a significant difference.

Another way is to dough in full volume and raise the temp with the element - but beware the scorching and STIR - and not on full bore. Infusion is easier and lazier. I think the stirring increases the efficiency a tad too.

But if you're just starting out - I'd recommend doing a single temp mash at 65C. Experiment more when you know your gear better.

I have drank homebrew bottles till the chewy drops at the end with no gastric distress. Franziskaner somehow rots in my intestines. I believe Germans look to Heffeweis as a symbol of freedom from oppression. Yes the tyrannical Reinheitsgebot.

Ask your mate if he'd like to try a hoppier version of his favorite, before changing what you do. To blazes with style perfect beer. He might not want a clone. He may just go for her sexier fraternal sister.

Nick's infusion method looks the goods.But I'm hearing the other messages loud and clear, so maybe I'll do an AG test run with a basic pale ale, and work my way up.So many beers to brew, so little space!

Back