Frankos Anawbs Experience

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Franko

Red Rocket Brewery
Reaction score
G,Day Brewers,

Well finally today came the yellow envelope with a ANAWBS Explanation of why my Labels were not accepted for competition.

The letter reads:

Dear Frank

Thankyou for your entries in the label section of ANAWBS 2006.
The Label competion is only open to those entrants who have submitted wine or beer entries in the competition.

Unfortunately we did not recieve any beer or wine entry from you so we could not accept your labels for consideration in the label competition.However, we did request the judges to score your entries so that at least you could get the benefit of their comments about your label designs.

Thankyou again for you entry,hopefully next year you will again enter this competition together with a wine or beer.

Regards,

Label Competion Co-Ordinator

IMHO

I wish to advise those at the ANAWBS to make there rules of this competition a little clearer in the future as there was no stipulation that a beer or wine needed to be entered for the Competition

It was good enough of the ANAWBS to take my registration money and my label entry money,(mind you entry to the label competion was free if you entered a beer or wine) and to display my entries on the day.
As someone advised me I was going to do very very well if I was eligible ????

Anyhow its all water under the bridge now and for those who wanted to know how the labels went in the judging here are the Results

Franko

Label_Scores.jpg

Franko you got duped brotha!! :angry: . Obviously your labels where too good for them.

Nice results there Franko, it's a shame you couldn't recieve the official recognition you deserve, but we all know that your a winner regardless.
I am sure that the organisers will be a little more explicit in their rules next year.

And a big thanks for all the labels you have produced for AHB members, you have raised this hobby another level.

Cheers
Andrew

From what I can see you will be ineligible next year as you will have lost your amateur status. Time to go pro!
Plus from what I hear you don't bottle anymore :D
cheers
Gerard

From what I can see you will be ineligible next year as you will have lost your amateur status. Time to go pro!
Plus from what I hear you don't bottle anymore :D
cheers
Gerard

Thats Right Gerard,
Thankyou very much for helping me see clear in that direction

Yes well sorry for the reply with no comment....

Looks like you have been shafted. As someone said earlier, we appreciate your work. Nice scores even if they didn't count. You left out your design for BTC inc, maybe that would have swayed them. No fair, slap one one of your own brews which must be getting up there in quality standards.

maybe there will be a 'labels only' award. But that being said we dont want pro graphics guys taking a bloke's like yours effort away.

Thanks Franko for everyones stuff you have done. :beer:

G,Day Brewers,

Well finally today came the yellow envelope with a ANAWBS Explanation of why my Labels were not accepted for competition.

The letter reads:

Dear Frank

Thankyou for your entries in the label section of ANAWBS 2006.
The Label competion is only open to those entrants who have submitted wine or beer entries in the competition.

Unfortunately we did not recieve any beer or wine entry from you so we could not accept your labels for consideration in the label competition.However, we did request the judges to score your entries so that at least you could get the benefit of their comments about your label designs.

Thankyou again for you entry,hopefully next year you will again enter this competition together with a wine or beer.

Regards,

Label Competion Co-Ordinator

IMHO

I wish to advise those at the ANAWBS to make there rules of this competition a little clearer in the future as there was no stipulation that a beer or wine needed to be entered for the Competition

It was good enough of the ANAWBS to take my registration money and my label entry money,(mind you entry to the label competion was free if you entered a beer or wine) and to display my entries on the day.
As someone advised me I was going to do very very well if I was eligible ????

Anyhow its all water under the bridge now and for those who wanted to know how the labels went in the judging here are the Results

Franko

Franko...
Looks like there will be KEG LABELS...
From now on...... :p
PJ

What Program do you use......
I am learning Paint Shop X...Nowra Tafe...

said franko:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part of the problem with many of these things are that are apparently run by a committee. The committee will always be volunteers and will always look to precedent. There may well have been at some time a cobbled together a consensus semi-legalese (at least in its writing) conditions of entry that the current members feel they stick by.
Presented with an abberation, say labels not attached to bottles, they, rather than consider the abberation rationally with proper regard to argument they simply say..sorry...non-conforming and thus disqualify you. Spanish Referees some might say..I would say more so that these entities certainly have a strong direction, not dissimilar to that of a dog chasing its tail.

Having seen your work posted here..all I can say is...next year you might send, rather than bottle labels designer bathroom tissue.

Frunk >

I'd say it's a regrettable administrative error on the part of the committee, perhaps if you contact them they might refund you your entry fee?

Franko, mate I reckon you should be proud not pissed. The labels all scored well, that's the point of entering comps, not the bling. But I still hope things change and you cart home a truckload next year, you deserve it.

Cheers

mate, great labels, but not the comp for them.
must have been a side line to the judging of amateur beers and wines, and some bright spark threw in labels on the side. not expecting for anyone to focus soley on the labels.
if you're not getting job offers from label companies i'd be surprised, but no shiny things for you so it seems.
bad luck but great work :beer:

Franko, mate I reckon you should be proud not pissed. The labels all scored well, that's the point of entering comps, not the bling.

Cheers

So what do you hang on the bar room wall????

some DIRTY little letter??

Especially when it stated that the label comp was free with a bottle...and Frank PAID rego and entry fees to cover the fact he wasnt sending a bottle??

And they've kept his money; ( HERES THE KICKER) and they also kept the LABELS that were not accepted for competition, BUT displyed them for the comps benefit

I reckon a FULL REFUND(inc postage costs) and return of the labels is the LEAST they could do....otherwise a comp to steer clear of

done!

rant off

Exactly what Linz said.....

Full refund and return of Private Property

Rook

and they also kept the LABELS that were not accepted for competition, BUT displyed them for the comps benefit

Hope they have your permission Franko. If not this is a blatant breach of copyright.

oh and dont forget everyone. Put your entries in for anawbs 2007.........and 2008.............and 2009................and etc etc

I am positive that no doubt exists within the AHB community of Franko's ability or creativity, we have all enjoyed and in the case of some (myself included) have personally benefited from his creative genius. But in all fairness, before slamming the ANAWBS please consider all of the details below from ANAWBS and note that a registration fee is payable, irrespective of fees paid for entry into each category. As I understand it entry into the label competion attracted no entry fee. Moderators please note: I have not sought the permission of ANAWBS to post this information from their website.

Label Competition
This year we continue the free Label Competition. If you submit a wine or beer entry, you may also submit your personal bottle label - simply stick it on a the label competition entry form. There will be 2 Classes, Z1 Traditional and Z2 Modern. Trophies and certificates will be awarded for First, Second and Third place for each class.

CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
1. The competition is open to all interested Amateur Winemakers and Brewers. An Amateur
shall be a person unable under State or Commonwealth law to dispose of wine or other alcoholic
beverage for profit or gain.

2. Only amateur or homemade products may be entered, and all entries must be submitted in the
makers name.

3. Each exhibitor must complete the official registration and entry form which, along with fees,
must accompany the entry.

4. Each wine entry shall be submitted in one standard 750ml, or one 375ml (half) bottle
appropriate to the class. Liqueur entries may use a smaller bottle but must supply at least 100ml
of liqueur. Beer entries must supply a minimum of 500ml, normally a 750ml bottle but two
375ml bottles or similar are acceptable.
5. Each entry must only be labelled with the official label or a photocopy.
6. There is no limit to the number of entries an exhibitor may submit, except that no one wine or
beer may be entered in more than one class.
7. The Convenor may move an entry to another class if it is deemed that the entry is Out of
Class.
8. The Convenor may disqualify an entry if it is considered the entry is falsely represented. The
exhibitor of any such entry may have all other entries disqualified from the competition.
9. An exhibitor shall be bound by the decisions of the Show Committee and Judges. No disputes
will be entered into.

10. All entries and fees shall become the property of the Australian National Amateur Wine and
Beer Show.

11. The Show Committee will not be held responsible for the loss of, or damage to an entry, entry
form, or fees. Nor shall they be responsible for entries submitted in the wrong class or
incorrectly labelled
12. In the event of a lack of entries in a particular class, those entries will be included in the nearest
appropriate class or an amalgamated class.
13. The Show Committee reserves the right to alter these Conditions of Entry at any time without
notice
14. All exhibitors shall be deemed to have read and accepted these Conditions of Entry and
Schedule of Classes

Why do I get a sinking feeling that this thread will be up to around 20 pages by this time next week? :(

Warren -

Hmmmmm

Franko - Unlucky, but it looks like a beer or wine had to entered to be eligible for label comp

ANAWBS - Bad form to keep the money & also display the labels that were ruled out of contention

Have we learned something?

Time to turn the page

Cheers

As you all know I entered one of my labels,of course it is Franko's creation.
This won a award,I am going to forward the medal and certificate to Franko as I believe he deserves them,well done Franko !
The small trophy will go into my bar room,Franko your welcome to come and see it anytime you like and have a few Batz beers as well :p

I don't think we should be too hard on the organizers over this,I know it's very disappointing for Franko but please remember the work these guys put in.
We all know Franko's labels kick arse and Iam looking forward to seeing them in the BYO magazine.

Cheers
Batz

PS
Franko please PM me your address again

Well said Batz,

Its all water under the bridge now guys Im looking foward to sending a few entries into the BYO magazine comp next year.
I was just very dissapointed that they took my cash and displayed my work for their own benifit.
Dont know if I will enter in that comp again we will have to see.

So with all that said heres,
to looking at heaps of new labels/logos coming to the AHB community shortly
Cheers all
Franko

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back