Fourstar, CM2, Brendo, Maple Mega Brewday #3

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettprevans

HB so good, it will raise the dead
Reaction score
righto fellas time has come to brew again.

We need to:
- bed down a date
- start work on recipes
- confirm location (tentitive at Brendo's)
- work out gear and equipment

Beers
If I remember correctly the ideas we kind of settled on were:
- BIPA & partigyle Schwartz
- Marzen & partigyle altbier
- Saison & partigyle amber or bitter or US pale

thats 1 more than last year, so would put us up over 500L mark

Gear
as per usual I can transport my 50L HLT, MLT and 90L kettle. HLT requires a 15amp oultet.
I can also bring my ladder that we used as a makeshift brew stand
Ill bring my 2200W handheld immersion element

edit: youll notice ive put the thread in the AHB meetings section this time. once we set the recipes we can post in the recipe section without all our 'important waffle'

My place shouldn't be a problem - SWMBO seemed OK with it the other night. Are any of you guys going away over Easter? could be a good opportunity with the extra days (good friday and the Sunday would probably be out for me). Otherwise at this stage April is fairly clear for me.

Equipment wise, we have my standard set up (50l HLT, 50l MLT, 50l kettle) as well as the mega mash tun and kettle combination. Plenty of room for other equip, but I don't have a 15amp point so CM2's HLT will have to stay home.

Beer list looks about right to me from what I recall, so lets work up some recipes. I have plenty of grain on hand, but still no mill at this stage so milling will have to be done offsite in advance. For the BIPA/Shwartz it might be worth us getting some sinimar from Craftbrewer, given our volumes we shouldn't have too much drama getting through a chunk of it.

Cheers,

Brendo

Are any of you guys going away over Easter? could be a good opportunity with the extra days (good friday and the Sunday would probably be out for me). Otherwise at this stage April is fairly clear for me.
Brendo

at this stage due to work it looks like i might have 2-5 April off plus easter. Im good for any day except maybe sunday as the missus has something pencilled in on sunday morning, so I'd be a late starter.

but I don't have a 15amp point so CM2's HLT will have to stay home.
3 options.
- let me at your wiring :icon_drunk:
- get a 15amp outlet installed. you know you want to
- I can still bring it but use the 2200w element to heat it (thats if we want another HLT).

but still no mill at this stage so milling will have to be done offsite in advance.
my mill is portable, just bulky. you can obviously premill your grain at my place, but if we think we are going to need more grain ill bring my mill.

OK suggest the date be April 7th. This gives the potential to ferment one and be drinking it on Anzac Day, and is a 4 day weekend, also giving some clean/sober-up time.

If you have issues with the date, put another forward.

This old fella is keen.....

Tell me the date and i'll run it by the boss....

sounds acceptable to me.

I'm unavailable the weekend prior (doing tough mudder like an idiot). But the Easter weekend i should be free.

its soudning like easter is a go-er. makes me think we should make a bunny beer or a choc beer or maybe we just eat rabbit. something to celebrate.

Alright boys... the Boss has spoken.

I will host and lets lock in Easter saturday - 7th of April.

Now we just need to work out the recipes so we can sort out ingredients, etc.

Brendo

Alright boys... the Boss has spoken.

I will host and lets lock in Easter saturday - 7th of April.

Now we just need to work out the recipes so we can sort out ingredients, etc.

Brendo
Awesome.
OK rec for BIPA - I'm thinking scaled up Rogue's yellow snow with simimar - call it black snow! a lite schwartz off the back.

The others are out of my comfort zone, so post away.

Awesome.
OK rec for BIPA - I'm thinking scaled up Rogue's yellow snow with simimar - call it black snow! a lite schwartz off the back.

The others are out of my comfort zone, so post away.

sounds good... I have bucket loads of Amarillo, so that works well.

i got spalt for the alt if we want.

and plenty of crystal. heaps of cyrstal.

I need to order some yeast to clear out some cubes - want me to order some simmar while i am at it? i think we are agreed that we will use it for the BIPA/Swartz yeah??

yup. i think that would be a great idea.

Also once we have the rec's sorted, and inventory delta, we can oder a second lot of goodies, but that's a known at this point.

it occurred to me after brendos MB monsterbrew email, that maybe we could extend one of the batches by ~20L and contribute it to the MB Dinner. dont know how feasible that is with our volume capacity per batch

Timer on the HLT's to get the water up to temp upon getting out of bed chaps?

Setup and fill the night before of course! :p

Eagerly anticipating the photo's from this effort already!

Timer on the HLT's to get the water up to temp upon getting out of bed chaps?

Setup and fill the night before of course! :p

Eagerly anticipating the photo's from this effort already!

that's a given... god bless immersion heaters and timer switches!!

Fuk fuk fuk.fuk. I got my best mans engagement party.invite in the mail this evening. So I can attend but ill be a n early finisher

Not sure about the other guys, but I can be pretty flexible with dates post Easter if that helps.
well see what the others say. if thats the best day, then ill just bail eariler than's ideal.

any ones thoughts on below?
it occurred to me after brendos MB monsterbrew email, that maybe we could extend one of the batches by ~20L and contribute it to the MB Dinner. dont know how feasible that is with our volume capacity per batch

Back