Four Wives Pilsner Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattdean4130

Reaction score
Hey all!

Does anybody have any info, recipe's or ideas on how to get something similar to a James Squire Four Wives?

The best, or only thing i could come up with, was this

http://www.thebrewshop.com.au/james-squire-pilsener-style-recipe-pack.html

- ESB Pilsner 1.7kg Beer Concentrate
- 1kg Light Powderd Malt
- 24g of Saaz Finishing Hops (Quick Boil Method)
- Wheat grain infusion pack

but that seems awful expensive!

Has anybody attempted to make something similar? Any advice whether a pils kit and Saaz would get me close?

What defines a quick boil? 5, 10, 15, 20 minute??

Thanks a bunch!!

Not sure but anyone with 4 wives will be needing something a lot stronger than that.

The pils kit and saaz would be a good start, but the lager fermentation would be the most important part of this, so you'll need a good yeast, temperature control, and the ability to d-rest and lager after it's done.

tiprya said:
The pils kit and saaz would be a good start, but the lager fermentation would be the most important part of this, so you'll need a good yeast, temperature control, and the ability to d-rest and lager after it's done.
Okay, so i'd love to say i completely know what you're saying... Buuuuut, i don't! I'm pretty sure lager fermentation is longer at colder temps? "d-rest" has me stumped though.

Thanks!

Two packs lager yeast, pitch cold (7-12 degrees, yeast dependent), ferment till close to 2/3 towards expected FG, allow temp to raise a degree or so a day till you get to low ale temps (17-18), rest for a day or so then slowly drop back towards lagering temps.

The rest at higher temperature is called a diacetyl rest or d-rest. All yeast produces some diacetyl which is a compound with a flavour reminiscent of butter, buttered pocorn or butterscotch. Too much can leave a slick feeling in the mouth and overpower other flavours.

If given time and in a healthy state, yeast will clean up the diacetyl they produce. Many lager yeasts produce a lot and the delicate profile of pale lagers makes any amount stand out like dog's balls so the d-rest encourages them to work efficiently to remove it.

If you can still taste butter after this rest, you may need to employ other methods to remove it.

Just saying that you won't get the same flavour if you use a kit yeast - you need to use a proper lager yeast and ferment ~10 degrees, raise to 18 to finish fermentation (d-rest) then lager (0 degrees) for a couple of weeks.

If you have access to better yeast and temperature control, that's how you should do it to get something similar.

Going the kit yeast route at 18 degrees (fermenting it as an ale) will give you a tasty, easy beer, but it wont be the same.

Lagers take a lot of extra precision/control.

If you have temperature control (fridge with controller etc) you can try using a more "flexible" dried lager yeast such as S-23 and ferment at 13 degrees for ten days then let it rise a few degrees, before lowering it to as cold as your fridge will go for a week. Should get you pretty close.

A commercial brewer in Brisbane (Bacchus) uses S-23 at higher than lager temperatures and produces good clean brews.

tiprya said:
Going the kit yeast route at 18 degrees (fermenting it as an ale) will give you a tasty, easy beer, but it wont be the same.
Thanks for this!
Is what i was most unsure about - so that clears it up for me!

I have everything ready to go to have a crack at this - but alas i am out of bottles....

Back