Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reedy

Reaction score
I tried this on tap in Brisbane for the first time yesterday & I'm in love!

I've read that it's the same base beer as KBS that has been aged in spent bourbon barrels that had maple syrup aged in them afterwards, so it wil be difficult to recreate, but goddamit I'd love to give it a try.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/kentucky-breakfast-stout/

I found a recipe on brewersfriend and was wondering if anyone has tried this or something similar, or had any suggestions?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/310663/canadian-breakfast-stout

Last edited:
I tried this on tap in Brisbane for the first time yesterday & I'm in love!

I've read that it's the same base beer as KBS that has been aged in spent bourbon barrels that had maple syrup aged in them afterwards, so it wil be difficult to recreate, but goddamit I'd love to give it a try.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/kentucky-breakfast-stout/

I found a recipe on brewersfriend and was wondering if anyone has tried this or something similar, or had any suggestions?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/310663/canadian-breakfast-stout

You could get in contact with Stockade (in NSW). Their maple Imp Stout called Mountie is apparently as good as, or better than this year's CBS (not to mention about half of the price!).
I've had Mountie, not CBS, and it was full on delicious maple flavour. Apparently this years CBS (and the last couple of years) don't compare to its previous iterations in terms of quality.

I have had the Mountie & I agree it is good.

I hadn't tried CBS before yesterday so can't compare to previous years, but IMHO it is in a class above the Mountie.

Tried googling a recipe/clone for Mountie but no joy, will email stockade & see if they can help.

You could get in contact with Stockade (in NSW). Their maple Imp Stout called Mountie is apparently as good as, or better than this year's CBS (not to mention about half of the price!).
I've had Mountie, not CBS, and it was full on delicious maple flavour. Apparently this years CBS (and the last couple of years) don't compare to its previous iterations in terms of quality.

Received the following reply from Sunny Browning, Head Brewer at Stockade;

"The key to the Mountie is retaining a full maple syrup flavour, fermentation of maple syrup reduces this so you need to ensure it does not ferment.

We dose it post fermentation and filtration. Subsequent pasteurisation then ensures that the flavour stability is maintained and fermentation cannot occur in the bottle.

Addition volume is to taste, beauty of being post fermentation. So you can dial this in as you like.

As for the malt bill, its big. I’m not so familiar with a grainfather but doubt you will get your full volume in a single brewlength. We can only manage 30hl from our 70hl brewhouse…

OG - 1110
FG - 1018
IBU - 50
EBC – Black As ****

Pilsner malt
Carafa Ty1
Chocolate malt
Simpsons Crystal
Roasted malt

Recipes don’t translate very well from our steam fired brewhouse to home brew scale so you should adjust the grist according to your own expectations

If you have a crack at brewing it, I’d love to taste some."

First of all, huge thanks to Sunny for taking the time to reply to my email & sharing the info, class act!

Secondly, anyone have any suggestions on amount/percentages of the malt bill based on OG/FG advised (I'm just learning to use Beersmith)

Feck me... 1.110 down to 1.018... 82% attenuation on such a big beer is impressive!
I'm also surprised at only 50 IBU. I would have thought that such a big beer would be painfully sweet without the IBUs up near 80-90.

Pasteurising makes sense, it would explain how they get such a massive hit of maple in it.

My main thought would be that if you want to get a half decent volume on this out of your GF, then you'll need to do a reiterated mash

I would only be attempting a small batch due to limitation of the Grainfather & being an experimental brew.

Not sure how I would go about pasteurising the beer, might just need to be kegged & conditioned for a few months to avoid bottle bombs.

Not sure how I would go about pasteurising the beer, might just need to be kegged & conditioned for a few months to avoid bottle bombs.

Can't recall off the top of my head exactly what temp you need to get it to, but it may be mid-60s C for 10 mins or something (I'm sure that someone will correct me). Some people do that in the bottles for sweet sparkling cider, etc., it's a bit dicey though.
Kegging and conditioning won't get the same result, as the yeast will slowly make it's way through the maple syrup, even at keezer temps, therefore you'll lose a lot of the maple flavour.

Another option may be using campden, etc. to knock the yeast on the head for a while, then drink the keg in a short number of weeks

Back