• We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.

Forum Reorganisation : Have Your Say

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

dane

Reaction score
I'm looking at reshuffling some of the forums when the new upgrade hits, thought I'd open it up for some feedback before I make a final descision.

The aim is to:
  1. cater for peoples brewing experience for effectively
  2. try to keep discussions on topic
  3. encourage more in depth, technical discussions in the more advanced sections
  4. make it clear where one should post a topic (and where to go to search for it)

Here's my current draft, let me know what you think.

Sections marked with a ? are just 'pencilled' in but possible breakdowns or subforums.

Updated based on feedback.

Updated: added possible AG subs: BIAB, 2v/3v, Braumeuster

Updated: separated DIY Projects & Electronics, Hardware & Software

Updated: Fermentation & Filtering, and expanded Kegging into Bottling, Kegging & Serving

Code:
##The Brew Shed	

# Articles & FAQ

# Beginners Beer Brewing (promoted newbie articles / FAQ)

# Kits & Extract Brewing

# Partial Mash Brewing	

# All Grain Brewing

? braumeuster

? BIAB

? 2v/3v

# Electric Brewing

# The Common Ground (general brewing techniques)

# Non Beer Brewing	

? Wine

? Mead

? Cider

? Other (Soda, Lemonaide, Alco-pop)

? Distilling (need legal advice)

###############################################################################

## The Tasting Room

# Ingredients

? Hops

? Yeast

? Water

? Malt

? Adjuncts

# RecipeDB Discussion

# Flavour of the Week

# Brew Food

? Meat smoking, curing, sausages

? Cheese

## Tools of the Trade		

# Brewing Gear and Equipment

# Electronics, Hardware & Software (new)

# DIY Projects (new)

# Fermentation & Filtering

# Bottling, Kegging & Serving

## The Lounge

# The Pub

# Beer News (new)

# Beer, Pub & Brewery Reviews

## AHB Marketplace

# For Sale

# Bulk Buys

# Retail Shop

## AHB Community

# Meetings & Case Swaps

# Brew Clubs

# Brewing Competitions & Results

# Brewversity		

## Site Related

# Announcements

# Site Feedback and Bugs

# Support Topics [holds articles + discussion] (new)

# Mods Lounge

# Thread Dumping Ground

## General Discussions

# In the news (new)

# Off Topic

# Humour & Jokes

browndog

Are you bulletproof boy?
Reaction score
I like the addition of the DIY projects Dane, seeing as there has been one or two outstanding threads in this area recently. Also, without trying to sound like too much of a wanker, I'd like to see the AG sub forum well away from the beginners area, there is a sub forum for beginners and there is no reason for them to be posting beginner questions in the main AG thread.

cheers

Browndog

Rina

Reaction score
Looks good. Now if people posted in the right place to begin with and topics were kept on track that'd be great.

kelbygreen

Crazy Clown
Reaction score
yeah looks good, I agree with browndog that the AG section should be separated, Although alot of the subsections should take alot out of the main AG section to.

bum

Not entitled to an opinion
Reaction score
there is a sub forum for beginners and there is no reason for them to be posting beginner questions in the main AG thread.
But this is, obviously, already how things are set up. With the proposed further fracturing of the board the problem will only get worse.

The more that you need to know where to look for information, the harder it will become to find, the less likely people will be to try.

Diesel80

Reaction score
Is it worth splitting Beginners/AG into BIAB and 3V?
Or is AG AG in a beginners context?

Just a thought.

Cheers,
D80

dane

Reaction score
I like the addition of the DIY projects Dane, seeing as there has been one or two outstanding threads in this area recently. Also, without trying to sound like too much of a wanker, I'd like to see the AG sub forum well away from the beginners area, there is a sub forum for beginners and there is no reason for them to be posting beginner questions in the main AG thread.

cheers

Browndog
Yeah it's a fine line.

I'm quite excited about the DIY projects sections, there's an amazing amount of talent and experience in the member base so a dedicated area for that would be great.

So it could be something more like:

Code:
##The Brew Shed	

# Beginners Beer Brewing (getting started and newbie FAQ)

# Kits & Extract Brewing

# Partial Mash Brewing

# All Grain Brewing

# 'Non Beer' Brewing	

? Wine

? Mead

? Cider

? Soda

Pennywise

Brewin' Beer for Crazy Clowns & Juggalo's
Reaction score
I think it looks the goods, having the beginners section right up top will hopefully be obvious for those new to the site and brewing

manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler
Reaction score
Sub fora all look fine. Either I'm blind or there's no articles/wiki?

Would be good to see the articles maintained and inadvertently posted 'nothing' articles get cleaned but I believe that's already on the cards?

Also:

The Tasting Room
# Recipes & Ingredients
? Hops
? Yeast
? Water
Malt
Adjuncts

dane

Reaction score
Related to my above post, the other option I was toying about was to pull out the beginners stuff into a completely separate forum

Code:
##Getting Started	

# Newbie FAQ

?

?

# Kits & Extract Brewing

##The Brew Shed	

# Partial Mash Brewing

# All Grain Brewing

# 'Non Beer' Brewing	

? Wine

? Mead

? Cider

? Soda

Problem with that is that there could be double ups on some of the general brewing discussions, and how far do you break down the beginners topics....?

I think the previous post is a better solution at this stage, as long as we can clearly capture the new brewers with a section then and then clearly state in the descriptions and in forum headings that the Partials / AG forums are for more experience posters.

dane

Reaction score
Orignal post has been updated based on feedback.

Sub fora all look fine. Either I'm blind or there's no articles/wiki?

Would be good to see the articles maintained and inadvertently posted 'nothing' articles get cleaned but I believe that's already on the cards?

Also:

Malt
Adjuncts
Added Malt / Adjuncts

Articles will be maintained, they are also being cleaned up.

I have to migrate the current article into a newer system, one of the benefits is that any post can be converted (permission dependent) into an article and formalised.

In the proposed layout the discussions for these I have living in the Site Related -> Support Topics [holds articles + discussion] (new)

The idea is that there will be a top level navigation, just as we currently do, and that's how the articles are found and browsed, the support topics just hold the discussions.

I know what you mean though, it might not be the best for discoverability.

pk.sax

RIP bum
Reaction score
If your new software allows an interactive FAQ, that would help clean things up. For newbies to be able to categorise and search through a menu would be handier than a generic search. More often than not its not knowing the term to search that is the problem, a menu sorts that out nicely.

brettprevans

HB so good, it will raise the dead
Reaction score
Loiks the goods dane (and others who have got it to this stage).

Id add a general 'brew food' section.

Perhaps an 'other' in non beer brewing. Just to cover bases in future. Prob covers alco pop type things, lemonade etc

Edit I don't know how to deal,wuth the new brewr issue as there may be peopke never brewed before going straight into AG. so u can't assume beginner is k&k or extract.

No doubt the 'trendy' braumeuster crew will demand a section of their own. Although I suppose sub cats in gear and equipment could work, ie 2/3V, biab, braum, etc

bignath

"Grains don't grow up to be chips, son"
Reaction score
not sure if it's possible, or even a good idea, but i'd like to see a feature or area where all of the most common questions are always asked so new brewers/posters could look for their answers their first.

examples like, "my airlocks not bubbling' or stuck gravity questions etc. The really common stuff that keeps popping up.

I understand that if they are new to AHB they won't know exactly where or how to look for those answers, or even be aware that those questions are retardedly common in the first place, but if something could be implemented along those lines then it would save a lot of the negativity that is creeping in on this forum aimed at new brewers, and it would allow the newies a chance to get into the nuts and bolts of brewing without someone taking there head off.

Not sure how, or if it's possible, but it's something id like to see....

BN

Wolfy

Reaction score
Very much like the individual brewing ingredients sub-sections.

You could also do something like this:
# All Grain Brewing
? 3V Systems
? BIAB

Rina

Reaction score
not sure if it's possible, or even a good idea, but i'd like to see a feature or area where all of the most common questions are always asked so new brewers/posters could look for their answers their first.

examples like, "my airlocks not bubbling' or stuck gravity questions etc. The really common stuff that keeps popping up.

I understand that if they are new to AHB they won't know exactly where or how to look for those answers, or even be aware that those questions are retardedly common in the first place, but if something could be implemented along those lines then it would save a lot of the negativity that is creeping in on this forum aimed at new brewers, and it would allow the newies a chance to get into the nuts and bolts of brewing without someone taking there head off.

Not sure how, or if it's possible, but it's something id like to see....

BN
You could solve this by disabling the new thread option for lets say posters who have less than 25 posts.

bignath

"Grains don't grow up to be chips, son"
Reaction score
You could solve this by disabling the new thread option for lets say posters who have less than 25 posts.
for an experienced or semi experienced brewer who is new to the forum, that'd probably work, but how would a new brewer (not necessarily someone who is new to forums) ever be able to post if they didn't have anything to contribute to an already going conversation.

Besides, a lot of new posters hijack threads to ask their question anyway....

Rina

Reaction score
On other forums I found it works quite well.