Forum needs to be active so let's talk political.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Except that the picture was taken the day after the protest when the tanks were leaving Tiananmen Square. If anything, 'Tank Man' was trying to stop them leaving perhaps fearing a return of the students.

Its surprising what people think they remember about that day.
So when has anyone ever said otherwise? He was still fairly obviously protesting their actions, very apparent by the fact we've never heard from him again nor know his fate.

Mean girls, imagine the repercussions sorry I called you sir ma'am you look masculine, no excuse capnclunks it's jail for you. Imagine the LGBT and quasi racism/sexism nonsense that would occur
You mean we might actually have something other than old white men in power? I know, the shock to the system of many, right?!?? :eek:

You mean we might actually have something other than old white men in power? I know, the shock to the system of many, right?!?? :eek:
Why does it matter so much if white, I don't care if black/brown, female, gay etc. I'm just sick of this, why can't the person just be qualified and good at the job. Instead of playing the persecution Olympics, no one is oppressed here this isn't Iraq or Africa.

I've been told by someone before that I have white privilege, I grew up poor and am fairly uneducated but was told by a wealthy educated person who owned serveral houses how privileged, yes I am privileged because I'm Australian but not because white.

For a group that goes on about racism they sure seem to care about skin colour.
I also find it odd that African Americans always going on about slavery yet don't seem to actually care about the people still enslaved in Africa, I don't see them doing anything about that.

I would personally hire someone based on their skills/ attitude and regardless of gender/sexual orientation and race, and if someone discriminated them I would stick up for them. But if they carried on about being oppressed I would fire them immediately.

I'm so tired of people with their imagined perceived oppression. I can find plenty of racists in any skintone, and I'm getting sick of hearing this "your a white male" bullshit, it seems alright if "white female" but I suppose nowadays you could just "identify as something".

You also proved my point about faux LGBT and quasi racism/sexism nonsense, I suppose the glass ceiling when it comes to females pay is real too, even so if this actually happened their would be alot of very wealthy women because they would sue the arse off their employer and win. Maybe it's time to lay off the tiktok and Twitter

Last edited:
I would personally hire someone based on their skills/ attitude and regardless of gender/sexual orientation and race, and if someone discriminated them I would stick up for them.
Yeah. It would be a better society if there was no discrimination. Previous generations wanted to end it, we do, and future generations will try as well. Somehow I don't think that we will ever get there.

Woke politics is all about dividing us, either accept the dogma or you're cancelled. It does not seem to recognise that we are all inmates of the same prison.

1654758533631.png

Yeah. It would be a better society if there was no discrimination. Previous generations wanted to end it, we do, and future generations will try as well. Somehow I don't think that we will ever get there.

Woke politics is all about dividing us, either accept the dogma or you're cancelled. It does not seem to recognise that we are all inmates of the same prison.
I'm so sick of woke politics it's everywhere, I'm not discriminate, my own sister is a lesbian. But she doesn't shut up about her "oppression" drives me nuts, why do we pander to 0.01% of the population and ignore the whole. These people just are attention addicts, I think alot of people feel the need to be validated and it's sad. I blame the rise of social media and tinder etc. (Yes I know this is social media also)

I'm so sick of woke politics it's everywhere, I'm not discriminate, my own sister is a lesbian. But she doesn't shut up about her "oppression" drives me nuts, why do we pander to 0.01% of the population and ignore the whole. These people just are attention addicts, I think alot of people feel the need to be validated and it's sad. I blame the rise of social media and tinder etc. (Yes I know this is social media also)
I agree with what CapnClunks is trying to say (well I think it's what he is trying to say). I'm now going on sixty five and am feeling pressured every time I go out because I have to be very careful in the words I must choose when expressing my thoughts. My kids constantly pull me up on things I say even though, I say them without malice (I know the lack of malice is no excuse but I'm not talking about racial or sexist comments, I'm talking about having an opinion on how someone dresses or pierces their bodies, it's my opinion.) It's my generation I guess, I certainly hold people equally and always did in my position when I was working and I was in a position of high seniority. But I started to become frustrated when positive discrimination (PD) was introduced (probably back in the 1980's, I'll stand corrected on the date). PD went against the grain of equality because it didn't create an even playing field, (I have always believed in the best person for the job and built my teams on that mantra). I believe that acceptance of equality is essential and everyone must change their thinking to look at each other equally. To me that means everyone must act equally and not push their particular barrow so hard that it becomes counter productive. The few that push it on the masses doesn't (IMO) help their cause. For example (and please don't hang me for this) I don't like political parties or religious groups coming to my door trying to win me over, I don't like the gay and lesbian mardi gras being televised displaying things that my generation were not accustomed to. I'm not saying people can't live their lives the way they want to in fact it's their lives and they are, we are, or should be, entitled to live them how we see fit so long as we don't impact on others and live within the laws. I hope I haven't offended anyone but that's just how I feel.

Its
I agree with what CapnClunks is trying to say (well I think it's what he is trying to say). I'm now going on sixty five and am feeling pressured every time I go out because I have to be very careful in the words I must choose when expressing my thoughts. My kids constantly pull me up on things I say even though, I say them without malice (I know the lack of malice is no excuse but I'm not talking about racial or sexist comments, I'm talking about having an opinion on how someone dresses or pierces their bodies, it's my opinion.) It's my generation I guess, I certainly hold people equally and always did in my position when I was working and I was in a position of high seniority. But I started to become frustrated when positive discrimination (PD) was introduced (probably back in the 1980's, I'll stand corrected on the date). PD went against the grain of equality because it didn't create an even playing field, (I have always believed in the best person for the job and built my teams on that mantra). I believe that acceptance of equality is essential and everyone must change their thinking to look at each other equally. To me that means everyone must act equally and not push their particular barrow so hard that it becomes counter productive. The few that push it on the masses doesn't (IMO) help their cause. For example (and please don't hang me for this) I don't like political parties or religious groups coming to my door trying to win me over, I don't like the gay and lesbian mardi gras being televised displaying things that my generation were not accustomed to. I'm not saying people can't live their lives the way they want to in fact it's their lives and they are, we are, or should be, entitled to live them how we see fit so long as we don't impact on others and live within the laws. I hope I haven't offended anyone but that's just how I feel.
It's definitely a changing World, one I'm finding difficult to accustom to myself and I'm only 35; I can not imagine the changes a older bloke like you would of seen

I think I have mentioned before - Watching my grandmother cry during the first moon landing, she went to school with her brother and sister all three on the same horse, recalled the first time she saw a car, an aeroplane, an electric light, heard a phone ring... and I'm sitting here with a mobile phone beside me that has more computing power than the Apollo program.
Yep things change, my first computer had 128k of ram, the same on its disk and that’s all.
Funny part is I like change, not saying it’s not challenging but it keeps the mind fresh. I do keep wondering what will happen next and look forward to what is coming.
Mark

Why does it matter so much if white, I don't care if black/brown, female, gay etc. I'm just sick of this, why can't the person just be qualified and good at the job. Instead of playing the persecution Olympics, no one is oppressed here this isn't Iraq or Africa.

It doesn't, but we've had thousands of years of discrimination towards those that weren't old white men, and I think more than a few people believe it's doing us more harm than good to keep doing the same thing over and over.

You also proved my point about faux LGBT and quasi racism/sexism nonsense

And you proved mine about how afraid many white males appear to be at the very idea of another gender or skin colour being in charge. The fact you use "woke" as an insult (or at all) shows your biases. If you truly did want things based purely on qualifications & merit you would avoid using all the various pointless - and often ignorant - insults thrown by the more extreme from both (all?) sides. If I ever hear anyone from the left throw out the "nazi" insult, I for the most part will ignore them too (unless it's being used to describe actual Nazis of course ;) ).

Last edited:
I hear ya. Personally I'm leaning toward a cis female millennial of mixed race.

Just something different than the same old same old would be nice. But as you may note from the comments following mine, too many believe we've had no issues we need to address, and should just continue doing what we've always done. Whereas in reality, for all we still need to do, the lives of many millions of people have improved due to what many have fought for over the past decades (and longer in some aspects). Even if many white males can't recongnise that, and have no real idea of what it's like to be discriminated against even while they complain about "wokeness" (the most misused term in history potentially, maybe up there with "politically correct").

Kind of reinforcing my original comment of course. ;)

I don't like the gay and lesbian mardi gras being televised displaying things that my generation were not accustomed to. I'm not saying people can't live their lives the way they want to in fact it's their lives and they are, we are, or should be, entitled to live them how we see fit so long as we don't impact on others and live within the laws. I hope I haven't offended anyone but that's just how I feel.

What percentage of TV coverage shows anything representing or supporting the LGBT+ community? I'm almost certain it's far less than the ~10% of the community (possibly more) that identify or are part of that segment of the population. Sorry it offends you, but if it was about what offended me then most of the brain-destroying moronic reality TV would be banned from being broadcast.

Perhaps rather than "get off my lawn", you can be open to what so many minorities have had to go through - and are STILL going through - and hence how important it can be for those growing up from those groups to see people just like them celebrated within the mainstream media nowadays. If you spent even a few hours with those working with youths from these communities you would understand how much of a difference it can make, and has made over the past few decades.

The fact you use "woke" as an insult (or at all) shows your biases.
Well, what do we call it then?

There are now so many jokes that cannot be told because so many people are taking offence. Not the people who may be the butt of the joke, no, it is people who are taking offence on behalf of others that is the problem. It is very easy to see why there is a pushback against the cancelling of humour.

Well, what do we call it then?

There are now so many jokes that cannot be told because so many people are taking offence. Not the people who may be the butt of the joke, no, it is people who are taking offence on behalf of others that is the problem. It is very easy to see why there is a pushback against the cancelling of humour.

How about avoiding labels altogether, and talking about the actual topic, and specifics where it will help? Would me throwing the "bigot" label around in response to a couple of comments in this thread add anything constructive to the discussion? Obviously not, derogatory labels are the antithesis to constructive dialogue.

And humour hasn't been "cancelled", only bad (or past it) comedians who don't know how to write good jokes anymore. Punching down was never funny, the only difference now is that people are being called out on it (which is actually what many are whining about, having to take responsibility for their words). Good comedy is still thriving as it always has!

Last edited:
What percentage of TV coverage shows anything representing or supporting the LGBT+ community? I'm almost certain it's far less than the ~10% of the community (possibly more) that identify or are part of that segment of the population. Sorry it offends you, but if it was about what offended me then most of the brain-destroying moronic reality TV would be banned from being broadcast.

Perhaps rather than "get off my lawn", you can be open to what so many minorities have had to go through - and are STILL going through - and hence how important it can be for those growing up from those groups to see people just like them celebrated within the mainstream media nowadays. If you spent even a few hours with those working with youths from these communities you would understand how much of a difference it can make, and has made over the past few decades.
Taking down statues, suppression of people's ideas and opinions especially in academia should not be allowed. We are in a age of regression, culturally and academically, what good does the regressive left do other than push ridiculous policy, play free speech police and ignore history.
You speak of thousands of years of white oppression, what about https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...QQFnoECBUQBQ&usg=AOvVaw3kuqavoYmJu4WxJJPeClx_ Manda Musa what about all the people of colour that enslaved there own people and still do

How about avoiding labels altogether, and talking about the actual topic, and specifics where it will help? Would me throwing the "bigot" label around in response to a couple of comments in this thread add anything constructive to the discussion? Obviously not, derogatory labels are the antithesis to constructive dialogue.

And humour hasn't been "cancelled", only bad (or past it) comedians who don't know how to write good jokes anymore. Punching down was never funny, the only difference now is that people are being called out on it (which is actually what many are whining about, having to take responsibility for their words). Good comedy is still thriving as it always has!
What like Nanette on Netflix that's about as funny as leprosy

What like Nanette on Netflix that's about as funny as leprosy
Notwithstanding anyone's subjective views on what's funny or not, if that's your only reference for stand up comedy outside of those you believe have been "cancelled" you really need to get out more.

Last edited:
Back