Former tenant red IPA - Modus Operandi

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pitch low 20's and over 24 hours or so get down to 18. for me 17 is a bit cool to start a good ferment. if your O2 is a bit low then its even harder for the little beasties to get going.

I copied Mal's recipe and made a couple of minor amendments. It was to enter at MO clone comp but the comp fell through. But I hope to do a side by side in about a week to compare. It may not be quite as hoppy as the original MO Former Tenant,
My recipe is here.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/551326/red-ipa-former-tenant-
I didn't get the water volumes, and efficiency right for the mash and boil so had to top up with DME to get the right OG.(final volume in fermenter was 25L). And FG only got down to 1.015 so came out around 7.5%.
Feedback from a couple of serious home brewers (part of a big club) was very positive
Let me know if it the recipe is not able to be viewed.
Thanks to all your tips and suggestions on this post.
MO former tenant clone pic.JPG

I copied Mal's recipe and made a couple of minor amendments. It was to enter at MO clone comp but the comp fell through. But I hope to do a side by side in about a week to compare. It may not be quite as hoppy as the original MO Former Tenant,
My recipe is here.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/551326/red-ipa-former-tenant-
I didn't get the water volumes, and efficiency right for the mash and boil so had to top up with DME to get the right OG.(final volume in fermenter was 25L). And FG only got down to 1.015 so came out around 7.5%.
Feedback from a couple of serious home brewers (part of a big club) was very positive
Let me know if it the recipe is not able to be viewed.
Thanks to all your tips and suggestions on this post.

Hey mate, I wasn't able to view your recipe on brewersfriend due to a "Permisson Error".
Any chance you could make the recipe public?

I'm trying to make an extract version myself....

Just had a schooner of this, what a great beer. Reading this thread there doesn't seem to be any concensus on a final recipe.

My Former Tenant looks like the below. I am pretty happy with it. I am a rookie so wasn't going to change anything until I brew it again as my processes have improved since I brewed this.

21L Batch
4.90 kg Pale Malt 71.1 %
1.33 kg Munich, Light 19.2 %
0.36 kg Medium Crystal Malt 5.2 %
0.18 kg Crystal, Dark 2.6 %
0.13 kg Chocolate Malt 1.9 %

Mash at 64.4 for 75mins
Batch Sparge

35.00 g Cascade - Boil 15.0 min
18.00 g Mosaic - Boil 15.0 min
25.00 g Cascade - Boil 5.0 min
25.00 g Mosaic - Boil 5.0 min
26.00 g Cascade - Whirlpool
20.00 g Galaxy - Whirlpool
20.00 g Mosaic - Whirlpool

2 x Mangrove Jack M44 US West Coast Yeast

40.00 g Cascade - Dry Hop 4.0 Days
25.00 g Galaxy - Dry Hop 4.0 Days
25.00 g Mosaic - Dry Hop 4.0 Days

OG - 1.066
FG - 1.008

mash temp seems a little low for such a chewy beer. Looks delicious though

How'd it come out @yochris77 ? I've finally got to this in the pipeline so will be brewing it in a month or so

I ran late this year on my brew schedule so just brewing my porter in the next week or two which means it'll be towards the end of winter before I am drinking it.

Time to start looking at some ambers and wheats for spring!

Got to get a lager on first, then I’ll be brewing this again. I don’t think I will make any changes but my process and equipment has improved a lot since I did this last.

Let me know how you go and you thoughts

My brother and I are looking to brew a version of this in the next week or two, here's what we've come up with based off of the can and also other sources (our hop schedule looks bigger than above(!?), we've shifted 25% of the total IBUs to FWH and all the late hops to whirlpool/aroma to avoid boil off of the essential oils)..

Batch Size: 21 liters (fermentor volume)
Efficiency: ~73% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.075
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 7.8%
IBU (tinseth): 79.01 (aiming for 10x the ABV)
SRM (morey): 18.69

FERMENTABLES:
4.3 kg - Maris Otter Pale (62.8%)
1.25 kg - Vienna Malt (18.2%)
400 g - Wheat Malt (5.8%)
600 g - Cara Malt (8.8%)
200 g - CaraAroma (2.9%)
100 g - Chocolate (1.5%) - late addition

HOPS:
20g - Cascade, AA: 7.3, Use: First Wort, IBU: 19.5
50g - Cascade, AA: 7.3, Use: Whirlpool, IBU: 13.91
40g - Galaxy, AA: 15.3, Use: Whirlpool, IBU: 23.32
50g - Mosaic, AA: 11.7, Use: Whirlpool, IBU: 22.29
80g - Galaxy, AA: 15.3, Use: Aroma
60g - Mosaic, AA: 11.7, Use: Aroma
40g - Cascade, AA: 7.3, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days
50g - Mosaic, AA: 11.7, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days
50g - Galaxy, AA: 15.3, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.5 each - Whirlfloc
0.5 tsp - Yeast Nutrient

YEAST:
Mangrove Jack - New World Strong Ale M42
Fermentation Temp: 19 C

We're still tweaking..

I just began all-grain brewing, and this is the first thing I wanted to brew. So I signed up to say thanks for the inspiration and ideas. I really want to drink FT regularly, but can't afford to!

My recipe is here: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/667174/errant-foment-red-ipa-

Compared to a can dated 06/03/18

Appearance (sorry, can't upload a photo as a new member):
Colour is super close. The homebrew (HB) leans ever so slightly towards amber, while the FT has a genuine cherry red hue. Head on the FT is a more tan colour, compared to paler HB.

Aroma:
Not dissimilar! But there are distinct differences. FT smells of resinous pine, stewed fruit, ripe pineapple and dark Christmas cake. HB has a lighter, more green, tropical melon-fruit aroma, pineapple and passionfruit, and lacks the pine of the FT.

Taste:
Both beers are initially malty. FT has an early slightly sour acid, before rich palate-coating resin, big bread and biscuit and strong lingering bitterness. HB is sweeter, bitterness is similarly lingering but not as assertive up front, malt character a bit more restrained.

Overall:
Not a perfect clone, but the home brew is in the ballpark. I wanted to all-grain brew so I could make the beer I really wanted to drink, and this is almost as good as the real thing. I find the slightly more restrained, sweeter (but this is still a big red IPA!) character of the home-brew makes it easier to come back for more, but the FT is the beer that smacks you in the cheeks and makes you pay attention. I’m pretty stoked to have a couple of cases of this in store, especially when the FT is $13/500mL!

Next time I would back the crystal off a touch and lower mash temp.

Any ideas on how to match the big pine hit of FT? I might just have under-hopped.

Any ideas on how to match the big pine hit of FT? I might just have under-hopped.
Only thing I'd say is that your whirlpool additions seem a little light, I brewed my version last weekend (actually changed from what I posted above so I need to update that) but I had whirlpool and aroma additions at about 6-7g/L each. I also used some simcoe as that's meant to provide that resinous pine hit. I only pitched yesterday so I won't know for a while how it'll turn out.. was thinking about doing a dry hop on day 3 or 4, not sure..

I should add that I sacrificed some Former Tenant to the hydrometer, and a degassed sample was measured at 1017 SG.

I really want to drink FT regularly, but can't afford to!
Who can? not me thats for sure, I had to pay $18/500ml! in the west I got a discount for a 4pack even so with 2 cans of Pirate life I got sod all change from $100. wasn’t too impressed with the PL but the FTR is Beautiful but a price tag to make you $hit…
Thx for everyones input into this thread FTR is high on my list of todobrews - Cheers

How'd it come out @yochris77 ? I've finally got to this in the pipeline so will be brewing it in a month or so

I ran late this year on my brew schedule so just brewing my porter in the next week or two which means it'll be towards the end of winter before I am drinking it.

Time to start looking at some ambers and wheats for spring!
Kegged the latest FT clone about 2 weeks ago. CO2 bottle ran out, been travelling and usy, blah, blah, blah.

Did a side-by-side tonight. The MOFT I bought may be a little old. The bottlo is good enough to have a range of mainstream/popular craft, but not good enough to turn them over quick enough to ensure they are fresh. The date on the can is illegible.

Now take this as you like - I don't profess to be a sensory wizard. I am really happy with my brew. It has aroma and flavour, some punch that I missed last time. The MOFT had more of a malty aroma with a hop aroma more towards the dark fruit cake end as @SolitaryBee mentioned. Mine was more to what I would expect from Cascade/Mosaic (biased, i know). Colour looks to be spot on (photo later). I reviewed my water chemistry and I wonder if my SO4-Cl ratio of 5.68 is a little high. Total SO4 was 125ppm. Next time I will aim for a ratio of around 4.

Other than that, I am happy as. At the moment I BIAB+sparge and have dialled in my efficiency so I am hitting my numbers which I did not do last time. My first addition is at 15 mins, so I adjusted my recipe to make total boil time 20 mins. I have no problems with this and would do it again. The additional grain required is negligible cost. As for changes for next time - I think the water chemistry is all I will change.

Happy for everyone to comment and let me know their thoughts. Cheers!

I've never brewed one or used this recipe but I have this saved in my notes. Hope it helps but take with a grain of salt for reference.
Screenshot_20181001-163452.jpeg
Screenshot_20181001-163449.jpeg

Back