Forgotten Batch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eviljesus

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Long time lurker, small time poster, needing a quick bit of advice please.

A friend gave me an a homebrew kit that she found stashed away at her workplace that was never touched for some reason. The whole thing had never been opened so I happily took it off her hands when she offered it (can never have too many fermenters right?). Anyway, it contained an old brewcraft Munich Lager extract can it and by old, I mean very old (Exp. 2006). I had nothing to loose so cracked her open and it smelt ok (like a less intense stout, still slightly roasted and quite dark, but not as 'heavy'(?), I'm just not sure what this style is supposed to smell like) so I decided to put it on anyway.

Long story short, I went on holidays soon after that and forgot to keg it before I left. I just came home to this. Is it still ok? Smells ok, airlock was good. Yeast went beserk went I first started the batch and FG has concluded its finished. Still tastes fine, nothing odd that I can detect. Is it still ok to keg, or will it go strange?

Cheers guys,
Evil

13042012010.jpg

Not sure what you are worried about ...

Keg it, drink it and start again.

The floating white on top. I've never seen anything look like that before, and I've never left a beer that long in the fermenter. Is it just yeast from the batch still cruising around or what?

Probably got the right idea though. Keg it, if it tastes like shit. Throw it out and start again.

The floating white on top. I've never seen anything look like that before, and I've never left a beer that long in the fermenter. Is it just yeast from the batch still cruising around or what?

Probably got the right idea though. Keg it, if it tastes like shit. Throw it out and start again.

Looks like yeast floaties to me.

If it tastes fine, then I wouldn't hesitate to put it in the keg and serve away.

I'm only just getting back into things ... but years ago (YEARS AGO!) when I was brewing, I left a batch in the fermenter for probably 2 months ... when I got around to doing something with it, it had similar floating bits. But it smelled and tasted okay, we we kegged it, carbed it and served it up a part we had, wasn't a fantastic beer, but it was drinkable.

Looking at the yeast on the top looks ok to me, taste it to confirm.

But I will add shit ingredients make shit beer, don't expect it to be worth your while. For $10 you could have got a fresh kit and put the same effort for a lot better beer.

Cool thanks very much for your assistance guys. Really appreciate it.

Just finished putting it in the keg. So I'll give it a bit and see how it goes.

This was my last ever kit before I do my first BIAB All-Grain on Monday!

Cheers guys!

Back