Forgotten About Brew Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

losp

Reaction score
Hi All,

after a bit of poor communication with my housemate ( i went on holidays and he didn't do his task). I have 1 batch (lager) that would have finished fermentation a month ago, and 1 batch with no yeast ever put in (also been there for a month at 12 degrees).

My question is simple i guess, are they still good?
Can i rack the lager to secondary and just throw yeast in the other

Thanks in advance all,
losp

Hi All,

after a bit of poor communication with my housemate ( i went on holidays and he didn't do his task). I have 1 batch (lager) that would have finished fermentation a month ago, and 1 batch with no yeast ever put in (also been there for a month at 12 degrees).

My question is simple i guess, are they still good?
Can i rack the lager to secondary and just throw yeast in the other

Thanks in advance all,
losp

I often leave my lagers on the yeast for a month or so - it'll be fine - i'd just bottle it and not worry about a secondary.
As for the batch with no yeast - take a gravity reading and have a taste. If it tastes ok and is still at the original OG, add some yeast and ferment away.

The one which would have finished a month ago is probably going to be ok. Open the top and have a smell, take a sample and have a taste, if it smells ok and tastes ok then it's pretty safe to say it's fine.

The other one.... It's all going to depend on how good you were with your cleaning and sterilising regime. After a month anything which was in there is likely to have taken hold and screwed up your beer. If you were absolutely meticulous, and it's sealed well, and no one opened the fridge while you were away you might be ok. Once again, open the top and have a smell, take a sample and have a taste, if it smells ok and tastes ok then I'd be chucking some yeast in and seeing how it goes. No point in wasting it if it might be alright.

Thanks guys,

@stienberg the fridge would have pretty much been sealed the whole time, its not very clean though. ill just have a little taste and maybe do a hydro reading.

Thanks all, i thought i remembered reading somewhere that it was a reasonably common technique to leave lagers brewing for a while after to get rid of diacytl but i wasn't sure.

Thanks guys,

@stienberg the fridge would have pretty much been sealed the whole time, its not very clean though. ill just have a little taste and maybe do a hydro reading.

Thanks all, i thought i remembered reading somewhere that it was a reasonably common technique to leave lagers brewing for a while after to get rid of diacytl but i wasn't sure.

Just an update to this.
the lager was fine. tasted fine, fermented out fine etc so i racked that to secondary.

the other one..... lambic... :(

Back