Forgot To Rinse Sanitizer.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Pratt

Reaction score
I use sodium percarbonate from MHB to sanitize my gear and tonight I racked a lager to secondary for cold crashing/lagering in a 20L jerry. About 10 seconds into the racking I realised that I hadn't rinsed the container???
I smelt the jerry while the lager filled up and all I could smell was the sanitizer, will this effect the beer? I ask because the label says, rinse well with cold water.

Don't know much on the topic but id guess the beer will be pretty average. If it were me I wouldn't be drinking it. Should have stopped when you noticed and just sacrificed what ever was in there...

It's a pretty average no-rinse santizer in small concentrations. Unless there was a shitload in the bottom of the fermenter and it was a really strong mix, it'll be fine

Isn't sod perc more of a cleaning agent than a steriliser?. I use pure sod perc to clean/soak, then iodophor to sanitise

Sodium percarbonate is not a sanitiser, it's used as a detergent to clean not sanitise.
Any sanitiser that requires rinsing is not really the most effective way of sanitising your equipment either, get a no rinse sanitiser such as Phos acid, starsan or sanitize and your much better off.

If you can smell the percarbonate it could well go through your beer, I'd ditch it.

Andr

I would ditch it myself. Then buy something like Starsan and do it that way forever more. I would fail to understand how something that needs to be flushed (with what i can only assume is not inert sanitary fluid) can be used as a sanitiser in the first place.

Blah blah blah F_Blah.
Sounds Bad. Its for cleaning and needs a rinse. At the 10 second point was the point to stop, rinse and start again. If you have not done that then turf it.
Fear.

up to u taste smell if smells like crap ditch....how much cleaner was in the container,? sodium percarbinate acording to the directions on my bottle anyway says that it sanatizes .
brew it but also at the same time write it off if its good then ya laughing heyif its stuffed then drain it and learn from it
.simple

Can't believe I made such a mistake afte doing the same process for a couple of years now.....fark! Might let it lager and see how it tastes/smells in a week or two.
Only had 1 teaspoon with about 1.5 litres of boiling water in the container so the mix was quite strong.....bugger me.
Cheers everyone for the info.
Starsan I think.

Go to the supermarket and look in the brewing part of the drinks aisle. Coopers sell sodium percarb as santiser. Yes it's good for cleaner, but it's also a well known and used sanitiser. Seriously, I've done this a million times and wouldn't worry about it.

I thought sodium percarbonate was a sanatiser. Hence the name 'Napisan' (Napi Sanatiser). I just thought it wasn't a really good one, so we leave the job for Napisan to cleaning.

But I would not be drinking it.

QldKev

doesnt pure Sodium Perc break down to pot ash and o2?

From memory, I dont think (as long as it's the pure stuff) that there is anything terrible in it. I cant seem to find the data sheet ATM.

If it was nappisan I would ditch it as it's only got about 30% perc and the rest is :blink:

Isnt that what Coopers sell as Sanitiser?

Yob

It seems to be vaguely classed as a sanitizer and is probably very good for nappies ect. However there doesn't seem to be much info on concentration levels to make it effective as a sanitizer in the brewing environment.
To me anything that has to be rinsed off has just negated it's effectiveness as a sanitizer, however not being a Chemist my opinion is just that, an opinion only.

IF it's pure sodium perc it's 80% Hydrogen Peroxide..

will try harder to dig up that data sheet... I suspect that if MHB is selling it, it will be the Pure stuff.

Found it HERE

:icon_cheers:

so was there the solution in it? or did you tip it out and forget to rinse? If you tipped it out I wouldnt worry to much but if it had the solution in there I would be more concerned.

As said you would of been better off ditching as soon as you realised and only wasted a little bit not the whole thing.

My intention was not to drag up the debate.....sodium per carb sanitizes, even after rinsing with cold water.....been using it for years now with boiling water and a very clean work station Without any infections....touch wood.
It's going to stay in the lager fridge till two weeks time, I sure if its effected it I will notice as its a clean lager. Going with Sammus on this.
Funny to see the factions band up and debate what works for them. Good stuff.

My intention was not to drag up the debate.....sodium per carb sanitizes, even after rinsing with cold water.....been using it for years now with boiling water and a very clean work station Without any infections....touch wood.

<snip>

Funny to see the factions band up and debate what works for them. Good stuff.

Maybe not your intention, but important discussion nonetheless.

Keep in mind, for future brewers that do the same thing, they will most likely search and come across this thread. If they don't know the difference between cleaning, sanitising, and sterilising, then the info in this thread is important.

Can't see a problem with the input from other members discussing the different options and chemicals.

doesnt pure Sodium Perc break down to soda ash and o2?

was out back cleaning kegs and it dawned on me I made the above error in my assumption/memory (fail) :)

Happy to be corrected and apologies for the memory fail :)

It may be included in the podcast linked below, but I recall a Basic Brewing radio podcast where tasters (an experiment) were presented with beers that intentionally contained low to large amounts of no-rinse sanitisers (blind testing) and no (to little...?) complaints were experienced.

https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/basic-brew...id75092679?mt=2

03-22-07 Basic Brewing Radio - Sanitizing with Iodophor
Using Iodophor properly
3/22/07
Free
View In iTunes

Back