Forgot To Empty Starsan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennywise

Brewin' Beer for Crazy Clowns & Juggalo's
Reaction score
So, I filled a keg that still had about 500ml of starsan in it. I forgot to empty it before filling. Any issues with just drinking it? I figure it's a no rinse so a little can't be bad, but this is 500ml in 19L, still fairly diluted but not sure if it's a wise thing to tap it. Actually, it prolly wasn't even 500ml, maybe 300...

PMSL :lol:

I dont think it will make you sick but id taste it..... it will just be a bit more.... acidic :)

At least it wont get infected :)

I heard on a podcast with a guy from 5Star chemicals, where he had a giggle at a guy who'd done the same thing, but did say it'd probably be fine.

StarSan Ale :)

:lol: yeah, first thing I said the the missus was "this one won't get infected thats for sure". I guess if it tastes fine ill tap it, might just have one here and there from this one to be on the safer side. If I don't report back, well, tell the next person to tip it...

been nice talking with ya mate :)

I've got a Belgian pale ale on tap at the moment that I did something similar with. Instead of starsan in the keg it was in the cube I was using for cold conditioning. I'd had a couple when I was racking that beer and forgot to empty it out. I was going to tip it but ended up kegging it to see what it'd be like. I reckon that it has thinned it out a bit (there must have been at least a liter in the cube) but other than that the beer is pretty nice.

Good idea. Won't need to flush lines or clean your taps now. :)

Charlie Tally, maker of Star San on the Brewing Network was asked by Justin C about a beer he'd racked onto a quantity of starsan mix. Apparently the low PH of beer inhibits Star San and it loses it's antibacterial killing power. I seem to recall him mentioning you can pitch yeast after and it won't kill the yeast and in fact may even act as a nutrient for it. Also believe he said there would be no problems with drinking such a concoction.

Maybe not the best solution but you could always blend it with 1 or 2 other kegs to help dilute it even further. Who knows, you may crack a pearler of a brew.

May just do that if I notice any effects on flavor from the starsan, good thing is, it's an IPA. Blending 2 IPA's would be interesting I reckon

Reporting back after a reminder from another thread. Beer was fine, no defects taste wise but it was pretty cloudy. Apart from that I haven't had any side effects. Shit f**k Cnut stuffing rooted whore

Sorry that was just my tourettes syndrome kicking in, only just started not sure where it came from shit face f**ker bitch

I drink starsan solution all the time and I've never noticed any **** you at all.

Latest posts

Back