Forgot To Burp My Keg!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Reaction score
I filled my keg yesterday and started to carbonate it at 31psi. It wasnt today (24 hours later) that i remembered that i had forgot to burp my keg. I went and burped it and im going to leave it for another 24 hours. How do i know if the beer is oxidised? Should it be alright?

Thanks in advance, Scotty

One answer Scotty.

Drink it quickly. :beerbang: :beerbang:

If you didn't splash too much whilst racking you should be pretty right.

Warren -

I agree with Warren, drink it quickly.

You will know it is oxidised by a carboard flavour, sometimes shows as sherry too.

Ok I might be wrong in my assumptions here, but my understanding is that oxygen is lighter than CO2, so the air was sitting at the top of the keg and the CO2 was being forced into the beer. If you didn't use the shaking/rocking method, then you should be all right.

- Snow.

Do you burp your bottles when you fill them?

As you rack to the keg some CO2 would have come out of solution and as it is hevier than air it should have push alot of the O2 out anyway....

I'd say it will be fine... :chug:

Asher for now

Tried the beer today and it was fine. Thank God as its a great drop!

Scotty

Scotty

it is certainly nothing to worry about, as Snow said the CO2 is heavier than air so there would be a layer of CO2 on top of the beer, then the air layer. As long as you don't shake the keg around the air would stay at the top and wouldn't be a concern and then as you've done the next day, release the head pressure and the air with it.

Hoops

Back