Forgiving Lager Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effect

Hop extract brewer
Reaction score
After having brewed lots of beers, I find myself with very little malt left. I basically have enough malt to do one more batch of an ale with MO and a double of ale or lager with pilsner malt. With 4 cubes full and 2 fermenting away with 3 and a half kegs full, I think that I will be able to finally do a lager beer.

I was wanting to do a SMaSH of pilsner and czech saaz and ferment it with a lager yeast. So for a first timer to lagers, what yeast would you recommend I use?

I do have the option of using a fridge with a fridgemate to ferment it, which I will be doing, but ever since I have used it as a keg fridge (or maybe since it is quite an old fridge) it doesn't seem to get any lower than 10 degrees. So this means that even when the beer is in the keg, I won't be able to cc it at any where below 10 degrees :( - I will be in the market for a chest freezer for the kegs and another fridge for cold conditioning the kegs...but until then, what lager yeast would you recommend for my situation. Failing all this, I will just brew it with us-05 as cool as it will let me...

Cheers
Phil

edit: just had a quick look on craftbrewer - Wyeast 2112 - California Lager - is that a good idea? Lager characteristics up to 18 degrees? 14-20 fermentation temp.

All lagers yeasts are at least a bit forgiving.

Wyeast recommend you use a true lager yeast, even when you cannot ferment at the correct temp range.

I like the flavours produced by W2278, for a basic Czech Pils, to be brewed at 10-14 C

*edited for temp range*

In the dry yeast category:

The Swiss Lager yeast (S-189) is pretty forgiving. I got a double pack of it at a good price from Craftbrewer and it went very well.

People in my brew club seem to like the Weihanstephaner Lager yeast for its flavour profile and recommend it to others a lot - also known as W34/70. Haven't tried it myself. Have one in the fridge so wanting to give it a go.

Haven't tried any liquid ones but itching to get my hands on a Wyeast Danish Lager Yeast (good for a Heineken style).

A mate of mine just used the Cal Lager you mention for the first time a month ago and is very happy with it.

Hopper.

I used the 2042 Danish Lager Yeast about a week ago, made a 2 litre starter (or just under) pitched at about 12 degrees, was going mad in fermenter in around 12 hours

Won't know results for another 3 weeks or so

Andy

When do you plan on brewing Phil?

I will have a WLP833 german bock yeast cake in another week to 10 days that i use in both bo and german pilsners as well as the dunkel its currently fermenting.

Wont be doing any more lagers for several months so the yeastcake will be getting ditched.

S189 dry yeast or take the Dr up on the 833 yeast cake, just finished a keg using it and it is a sensational yeast

Rook

I find the Wyeast 2112 - California Lager or WLP San Fran yeast to be very good but best at 10 to 12oC if you can but OK up 14oC IMO. Above that the lagers are good but not great.

If your fridge will get to 10C, which it seems is what you are saying, then almost any lager yeast will work for you fermentation wise.
It is conditioning time after that might be the issue.
As someone who doesn't lager for anything near the recommended time some people like I don't see a problem, just lager it a little longer.

Otherwise, although I don't have much experience with liquid lager yeasts, I have found s189 to be a yeast that doesn't require a long lagering time, especially if already fermented nice and cool.
I've used a few other dry yeasts for lagers, as I am lazy with starters and like the ready to go yeast count that dry yeast brings, and I've found it needs far less conditioning time.
W34/70 and s23 both need more lagering than s189 in my book.

Having a keg fridge double as a fermenting fridge, through a bit of management and the planets aligning, I have just had a pilsener fermenting (using Wyeast Budvar 80%Pilsener 20% Munich) at around 10deg whilst drinking an English Pale Ale - good serving temp. Not too difficult to empty the PA keg by end of fermentation to turn the fridge down and lager and swamp drinking keg to a different style

hey smurto, that would be great...just have to figure a way to get it off of ya. I'll be hopefully brewing in about 10 days, but as i no chill it isn't a problem when i get it. Do you reckon the yeast cake will be good for another batch afterwards? Have got a mai bock on the cards as well.

Phil, I have a slurry of 2278 taken off primary yesterday if you want it. CBD pickup, happy to leave it in my fridge until you need it.

Phil, I have a slurry of 2278 taken off primary yesterday if you want it. CBD pickup, happy to leave it in my fridge until you need it.

sickness! czech pilsner smash!!!

Thanks buddy, I'll pick this one up on the weekend or monday or tuesday. When are you free?

Cheers
Phil

My favourite so far is 2124 Bohemian Lager, I think its the same strain as 34/70 or so ive heard? Lovely clean fermentation with a slight fruity nose!

Muari Dry lager yeast 497 is made in Toowoomba and its designed for higher temps .497 is the yeast in Coopers Brewmaster Selection Pilsener.This is the generic dry lager yeast you find in many Aussie homebrew stores just make sure its refrigerated like all dry yeast should be .This yeast tends to produce a whole lot of sulphur but cleans it up when lagering .Mauri claim it can handle temps to 30 C but its best under 20 or less.

http://www.maurivinyeast.com/yeast.aspx?id...enuid=286#Lager 497

Latest posts

Back