Forced Carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Dog Brewery

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am about to gas my first keg (Yippee no more bottles) and I just wanted to get some advice.

I have been reading on forced carbonation methods - (Im confused now with all the variations so any other versions would be good - I have a PSI reg and I cant chill my kegs). Does anyone know if using a commercial style temprite system requires a different method for force carbonation compared to a fridge style setup?

I have read that I should aim for 6 -10 psi dispensing pressure. Does anyone know if this also should be different using a temprite?

Thanks for any tips

Cheers BDB

I can't see why it would make a difference. As you mention you'll need more dispensing pressure with a temprite than with a fridge due to the extra length of the coils vs the tube in a fridge.

I assume you have a carbonation chart to work out the force carbonation pressure required? For example at 20 degrees, for 2.2x CO2 you'll require 23psi carbonation pressure. I've personally done this successfully although it takes at least 20 minutes rocking due to the higher temperature of the brew. It also takes a long time to clear so if you're intending to use this method all the time I'd use a secondary first to reduce the sediment you'll be stirring up.

You could also use the normal carbonation method at 23psi (in this example) but it would take at least a week I'd think.

Once carbonated you'll require more pressure to push it through the temprite but that's the only difference.

The only other thought I had for why you might have been told there's a difference is that if you leave your "hot keg" at 7psi it will go flat eventually. To avoid this simply regas it back to 23psi when you're finished dispensing. This is also the case with a fridge but you'll lose less gas in the fridge if you don't put the pressure up when you're not pouring.

tony

Latest posts

Back