Forced Carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day fellow brewers!

So I got my timing a bit wrong and was only able to keg some beer today that I was hoping to have ready for Saturday when family will be over for Xmas. Normally I'll set and forget at about 12psi for 2 weeks and it's good to go.

However, for my brew (a Kaiju Krush Tropical Ale clone) to be ready and carbonated by Saturday, what PSI level should I set it at?

Cheers for the advice!

I would burst carb over force carbing. 35 PSI for 24 hours then back it off to serving pressure and bleed

Just so I get this right, in terms of bleeding the pressure, after 24hrs bleed the pressure and set it at about 12psi?
Yeah mate. Set to 35, leave for 24 hours.

Disconnect gas from keg (important)

Dial reg back down to 0 and release using PRV. Set back to 12 or what ever you use.

Bleed keg using PRV gently so not to shoot foam everywhere.

Reconnect gas. Should have you well and truly in the ball park. Leave on serving pressure and enjoy.

Dial reg back down to 0 and release using PRV. Set back to 12 or what ever you use.

Reconnect gas. Should have you well and truly in the ball park. Leave on serving pressure and enjoy.

Brilliant! You're a legend!

You're welcome mate, let us know how you get on with it!

Hey mate. Not sure why its called "burst" it's really just static. Do it through gas post is fine. I avoid unless critical, like a time crunch. I prefer set and forget but this set to 35 and don't forget haha

Do you keep the gas bottle connected to the keg at 35 psi for the whole 24 hrs or just fill it to 35 then disconnect the bottle, and leave it to absorb what it can? I ask because I like to keep my bottle off as often as possible in case of leaks

Connected the entire time, I have lost a bottle or two of gas in my time, but with a little care and some starsan spray you can be pretty sure you are leak free.

If you hook it up to gas is all 'force carbing' just depends on the pressure you do it at.

RBB, look up the 'Ross method' to quickly force carb your beer. I generally start it off with this technique then leave at your preferred pressure then next day. This way if you don't feel confident leaving your gas on you don't have to.

You can also carb it up quicker just having it hooked up to the beer out post.

I think disconnecting the gas line is a good tip!

Back